Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Okinawa Bound  (Read 5038 times)

Offline stavesacre

• 1st Kit
Re: Okinawa Bound
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 07:01:56 pm »
Finally moved in here in Okinawa. I guess now I need to see if there are any local homebrewers here on the island.

Any AHA forumers around these parts?

Offline dogismycopilot

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 08:17:15 pm »
Regarding mail order, this place gives a 15% military discount:  http://www.hoptech.com/
Never ordered from them before, but I've heard their ads on the BN...

Cheers

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 06:00:31 am »
My dad was in the Air Force when I was born till I was 12 (then he went to work for NASA).  We lived on Okinawa from 1960 to 1965, so I was there from age 5 - 10.  We lived off-base in Awasi for a year, then lived on base at Kadena AFB the rest of our time there.  I'm sure things are completely different now, but back then it was a great place to grow up!  Okinawa was a US possesion back then.  If you called an Okinawan Japanese they would correct you, "i am Okinawan not Japanese!"

We loved to go to Ishikawa Beach on the weekends.  As a kid that's what I lived for.  I learned how to fish from the docks at White Beach.

Funny thing - I have quite a few Okinawan friends here on Hawaii Island who have never been to Okinawa.  They think it's cool that I lived there and ask me what it was like to grow up there.  Many things here remind me of Okinawa.  That's part of why I like it here so much.  I can get real Okinawan kine yaki soba here!

I didn't start homebrewing till 24 years after I left there so I can't help you much on that front.

I hope you enjoy your time there.  Thank you for your service!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907