Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'm pretty happy  (Read 6531 times)

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
Re: I'm pretty happy
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2022, 10:23:29 am »
Final Final on this one, I hope.  LOL.  My brother, who is not a hop head in any way, tried my beer that has been in the keg now for a couple of weeks.  He said, and I kinda agree now that I am finally thinking about it, it has a caramel finish to it to him.  I am wondering if that is what I am tasting and why that might be.   Here is the recipe sheet that came with the kit. 

https://austinhomebrew.com/assets/images/RCPPDF/09164.pdf

But, after he said it, I kinda agree that there is a bit of a caramel finish that isn't bad, just not what I was expecting.  RR
The Crystal 40 in that grain bill is creating that taste.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2022, 10:32:29 am »
Final Final on this one, I hope.  LOL.  My brother, who is not a hop head in any way, tried my beer that has been in the keg now for a couple of weeks.  He said, and I kinda agree now that I am finally thinking about it, it has a caramel finish to it to him.  I am wondering if that is what I am tasting and why that might be.   Here is the recipe sheet that came with the kit. 

But, after he said it, I kinda agree that there is a bit of a caramel finish that isn't bad, just not what I was expecting.  RR

I dunno if I'd be so certain.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2022, 08:25:24 pm »

I dunno if I'd be so certain.

With that being said, what is the recommendation for the keg?  Toss it?  Keep it and see how it settles in a few weeks? 

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
I'm pretty happy
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2022, 07:25:53 am »
Sometimes, time can help. Other times, bad news doesn’t get better with time — it just gets worse. If you don’t need the keg, give it some time and see what happens.

On the other hand: Of course, you’re not paying penance. If you don’t like it don’t drink it. Life is too short to drink a blooper. It hurts to admit it but some beers end up being dumpers.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 12:32:17 pm by BrewBama »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2022, 08:41:08 am »
Give it a little time, then if you don't like it, toss it. Life's too short to drink marginal beer.  Only you can decide where that keep/toss line is drawn.
Far better to dare mighty things....

narvin

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2022, 09:42:53 am »
For a hoppy beer that is too caramel sweet, I don't think it will improve.  I'd keep it around until you need the keg or the space, or until you no longer enjoy drinking it at all.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2022, 12:52:59 pm »
Give it a little time, then if you don't like it, toss it. Life's too short to drink marginal beer.  Only you can decide where that keep/toss line is drawn.

i know what you mean, but i actually disagree. i have learned a lot from tasting old bottles of both great, ok and bad beer i've brewed over the years.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2022, 09:11:32 pm »
Thanks guys.  My next brew, whether it be a second attempt at this one, or something different is going to go into bottles so I can see if it was me or just the recipe.  Something tells me that jumping right into kegging probably wasn't the smartest thing I could have done, but I am in it now.  LOL

Offline berserkbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2022, 08:14:03 pm »
Just go with it dude. do the same batch 3 or 4 times in a row. if it's consistent then your process is on point. if not keep with it until it's consistent. That's honestly the best advice any beginner can get. After that you make any changes you think will improve it.
1 gallon experimenter

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2022, 08:25:50 am »
Just go with it dude. do the same batch 3 or 4 times in a row. if it's consistent then your process is on point. if not keep with it until it's consistent. That's honestly the best advice any beginner can get. After that you make any changes you think will improve it.

THIS!!!!!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2022, 09:09:24 am »
Sorry to revive an old post, but I did a second run with this recipe and put it in bottles this time.  I was happy to report that the bottled beer and the kegged beer tasted damn near the same.  So, in my mind, I am thinking that my kegging process wasn't to blame for this and it is just how the beer tasted.  I had my brother and wife taste it as well, and even put a glass of the original Blind Pig next to it, and within reason, the two I did were somewhat close to the Original, and the two I did tasted the same.  So, as a result of this, I feel much better that my process of kegging, while not perfect, is not the culprit of the taste of the beer.  I am still thinking of trying the closed transfer just for the heck of it, but I am happy and encouraged that I did not screw anything up too bad.  LOL. 

Thanks again to all who contributed to this and all my silly newbie threads.  It has really been a help and I am taking it all in.  I told my wife, at some point, my goal is to set up a keezer in the garage with a few different styles and have friends come over and grab a beer anytime they want.  But that is a far distance away  Right now, I am just happy that the keg and the bottles are the same to at least give me the encouragement that I can continue to keg beer.  LOL.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2022, 01:03:00 pm »
Thanks for posting the follow-up.  I search a lot of these old threads for information, and it is always helpful to get updates even if months after the fact.  I learn a lot from that, so don't apologize.  I certainly appreciate your input and curiosity.