Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBW White residue/scale  (Read 704 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
PBW White residue/scale
« on: January 31, 2022, 03:11:59 pm »
So I made the mistake of soaking all of my small stainless steel parts of my conical and PBW for like three or four days.  I was Just about to rinse them to let them dry but now there’s a white residue on many of the pieces that haven’t come off with scrubbing and soaking. I’ve taken a look online and it looks like I need to do an acid wash?   I have five star beer stone remover so I’m going to follow directions and soak them in that and then let them air dry. Hopefully this removes the residue. Any opinions or suggestions? Thanks.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: PBW White residue/scale
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 08:24:57 am »
use a strong solution of star san to dissolve the buildup. You can use vinegar if you dont have star san

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 09:18:10 am »
use a strong solution of star san to dissolve the buildup. You can use vinegar if you dont have star san
What concentration of Star San?

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 10:07:16 am »

if you are starting with RO or distilled water, try double the recommended amount, I've been told that normal concentration work, but IME stronger works better and faster.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 06:16:05 am »

I believe the directions call for 2oz. Of StarSan per 5 gallons of water.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 01:22:46 pm »
Just an update, five star beer stone remover worked really well. All of the scale came right off after a 10 minute soak.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.