Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonating first Irish Stout  (Read 698 times)

Offline Seoan

• 1st Kit
Carbonating first Irish Stout
« on: February 03, 2022, 05:37:02 am »
Good morning.  First post here.

In a couple weeks I’ll be brewing my first Irish Stout, kegging, and serving it on N/CO2 beer gas. I have all the appropriate equipment and pieces. I’m aware of what gives a nitro stout it’s dense creamy head. My question is about the carbonating process itself. I’ve read two different methods:

1. “Briefly” force carbonate on CO2, then serve on beer gas at an appropriate pressure.
-if you use this method, what pressure and amount of time do you use on straight CO2?
*my keezer is at 38°F due to multiple styles.

2. Straight onto beer gas at ~30psi for “a few weeks” to let the lower concentration of CO2 do it’s thing.

Wondering what others do to attain that perfect pour. Brewing this February 19th and serving March 19th.

Thanks for the contributions in advance!

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Carbonating first Irish Stout
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 08:50:06 am »
And good morning to you sir.

I always use method #1. Through trial and error, I landed on 40psi for 24 hrs gets me to ~2.3 vols (estimated, to my palate). This is at about 36F. Then I dial it back to serving pressure and let it slowly carb the rest of the way.

Since you want something less than 2 vols for that style, you can do the math and decrease the psi or the time to scale it back accordingly. CO2 absorption isn't linear but assuming it is will get you in the ballpark. I shoot for ~1.8 vols with my dry stouts, which is 78% of 2.3, so I would decrease the psi or the time proportionally (i.e. ~30 psi for 24 hrs or still do 40 psi but for ~18 hrs). This has always worked reliably for me. YMMV and it would probably be a good idea to taste samples along the way. It sucks to accidentally overcarb a beer.

Method #2 is definitely easier but you'll have to wait longer. I am not that patient.  ;)

Offline Seoan

• 1st Kit
Re: Carbonating first Irish Stout
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 01:16:50 pm »
And good morning to you sir.

I always use method #1. Through trial and error, I landed on 40psi for 24 hrs gets me to ~2.3 vols (estimated, to my palate). This is at about 36F. Then I dial it back to serving pressure and let it slowly carb the rest of the way.

Since you want something less than 2 vols for that style, you can do the math and decrease the psi or the time to scale it back accordingly. CO2 absorption isn't linear but assuming it is will get you in the ballpark. I shoot for ~1.8 vols with my dry stouts, which is 78% of 2.3, so I would decrease the psi or the time proportionally (i.e. ~30 psi for 24 hrs or still do 40 psi but for ~18 hrs). This has always worked reliably for me. YMMV and it would probably be a good idea to taste samples along the way. It sucks to accidentally overcarb a beer.

Method #2 is definitely easier but you'll have to wait longer. I am not that patient.  ;)

Thank you, RC!

Think I’ll go with 30psi CO2 for 24 hrs, then switch over to beer gas.

Much appreciated!