Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First try at Liquid Yeast  (Read 2410 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: First try at Liquid Yeast
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2022, 06:35:17 am »
I think for SNS the volume of the container sets the maximum amount of oxygen available to diffuse into the wort. The container is sealed when you shake so the volume of oxygen is finite.

For ONS you’re getting oxygen from a bottle and the starter container size is irrelevant (as long as it holds the wort.)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2022, 06:39:32 am »
One of the key points is to use a jug that has 4-5 times the volume of you starter so you can get a lot of foam when you shake it. I use one of these because they are lightweight, shatterproof, have a built-in handle and can take temperatures up to boiling: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P0NPKM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can shake it like crazy without any chance of dropping it, and no worries even if I do drop it.
I use these glass jars. I wanted to be able to see inside and reach my arm in to clean. Yours has nice advantages though (the handle, durable, and hot temps).

Wide Mouth 1 Gallon Glass Jar with Lid - Glass Gallon Jar for Kombucha & Sun Tea - Gallon Mason Jars are Large Glass Jars with Lids 1 Gallon for Food Storage - 1 Pack Large Jar with Airtight Plastic Lid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075JR6H11/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_JMNRNCCEYERD3W3YGPYJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Online redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2022, 10:08:17 am »
Brew day is done.  It is bubbling away in the fermenter.  I forgot to take an OG reading, was drinking while my brother was brewing.  He decided to just go with the liquid yeast as it is.  He is a much more, let's give it a try type than I am.  I set it on the counter in the morning and he popped the internal package and waited about 4 hours while we did our thing.  The bag swelled like it was supposed to, and off it went into the fermenter. I told him about the starter, but he just dumped it in and stirred it up.  We will see in about 3 weeks what the results are.  Stay tuned, more to come.