Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Myth or Fact: Lots of Yeast for Big Beers  (Read 332 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
Myth or Fact: Lots of Yeast for Big Beers
« on: January 27, 2024, 09:05:49 am »
I am about to brew an imperial stout with 16.5 pounds of grain.

I see a lot of people saying you have to pitch lots of yeast to make an imperial stout. I have a recipe for an ale, and it's just as heavy as the stout. It goes off fine with one packet of Abbaye. Finishes fast. I kegged the last batch 5 days after brewing.

Is it really true that big beers have to have a lot of yeast? I would think that the more sugar there was in a wort, the happier the yeast would be.

Another question: if this beer fizzles, is there any reason not to use Abbaye to get it going again? I don't want phenols and esters, but my understanding is that they are produced early in fermentation, so I would think they wouldn't be a problem in a beer that was kickstarted after it was mostly fermented.

Finally, I am considering trying Kveik Lutra in dry stout. It's supposed to be very vigorous. Would it also be a good choice for waking up a stuck fermentation?
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Myth or Fact: Lots of Yeast for Big Beers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 09:18:17 am »
I would think that the more sugar there was in a wort, the happier the yeast would be.

A higher gravity wort puts more osmotic pressure on the yeast.  I think whether that has a detrimental effect on performance (or how much) is strain dependent.  It also means higher alcohol levels as fermentation progresses, which can negatively affect performance as well.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 11:00:14 am »
I am about to brew an imperial stout with 16.5 pounds of grain.

I see a lot of people saying you have to pitch lots of yeast to make an imperial stout. I have a recipe for an ale, and it's just as heavy as the stout. It goes off fine with one packet of Abbaye. Finishes fast. I kegged the last batch 5 days after brewing.

Is it really true that big beers have to have a lot of yeast? I would think that the more sugar there was in a wort, the happier the yeast would be.

Another question: if this beer fizzles, is there any reason not to use Abbaye to get it going again? I don't want phenols and esters, but my understanding is that they are produced early in fermentation, so I would think they wouldn't be a problem in a beer that was kickstarted after it was mostly fermented.

Finally, I am considering trying Kveik Lutra in dry stout. It's supposed to be very vigorous. Would it also be a good choice for waking up a stuck fermentation?

Yes, bg beers need more yeast. But I wouldn't call that a big beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 12:02:30 pm »
Hard to impress you with 1.084.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 12:27:38 pm »
Go to Mrmalty.com and do the calculation. Yeast quantity is very important.

FYI, what I like to do is brew a session beer first (nothing over 5-6% ABV), and it essentially serves as a giant yeast starter. Then you have all the yeast you need for a BIG beer, plus some to save for a future batch, if you like.

Yeast can be expensive, and this is a great way to save some cost and add to the fun!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 01:04:26 pm by John M »
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association
Favorite Styles- German Lagers & Ales, Belgians of all kinds, Adjunct Stouts, SHV Beers, Barleywines/Old Ales

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 01:01:00 pm »
Hard to impress you with 1.084.

;D or I need to do a better job at math!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 01:01:38 pm »
Go to Mrmalty.com and do the calculation. Yeast quantity is very important.

Yeast health is more important IMO

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 01:44:01 pm »
The mash is over, and man, this is harder than a typical ale. This stuff does NOT want to leave the bag. I squeezed the daylights out of it. I got my wife to help, and she became obsessed.

I am going to run a couple of quarts of hot water through it and call it a day. I'm not sure how much wort I have in the boil kettle, but whatever it is, it's at 1.091.

UPDATE: I put the oven rack on a cooler, ran about 2.5 quarts of water through at around 170, and squeezed like hell. I ended up with what looks like more than 5 gallons at 1.085, by Smartref. I think I won.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.