Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First try at Liquid Yeast  (Read 2456 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
First try at Liquid Yeast
« on: February 10, 2022, 11:38:43 pm »
OK, so my brother has gotten the bug and is coming over Saturday to make his second batch of what I will call a Wheat beer.  We bought the kit from the local Morebeer and he bought liquid yeast with a smack pack.  My question is pretty simple, at least I think it is.  How long do I need to have it sit at room temp before we smack it?  I read it needs to sit for about 3 to 5 hours after the smacking, or beatdown as I will call it LOL, but when should I take it out of the fridge and just set it on the counter to warm up, before it gets it's beating?  LOL   

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: First try at Liquid Yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 05:10:26 am »
I don't wait at all.  I pop it as soon as it comes out of the fridge. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 06:04:36 am »
When I use that type I smack it when I start my brew day and let it sit on the kitchen counter until it's time to pitch.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 06:54:09 am »
Perfect.  Thanks guys

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 07:55:34 am »
You dont need to wait at all. You dont even need to smack it.  Be sure to make a starter the day before you use it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 08:33:39 am »
How fresh is the pouch? It's possible to get away with direct-pitching if it's really fresh, e.g. no more than a few weeks old. But even then, making a starter is a really good idea with liquid yeast being used for the first time.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 08:41:33 am »
How fresh is the pouch? It's possible to get away with direct-pitching if it's really fresh, e.g. no more than a few weeks old. But even then, making a starter is a really good idea with liquid yeast being used for the first time.

I have had poor results direct pitching any beer over 1.040 OG

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 08:56:15 am »
Crud, well I don't think I have the DME for a starter, but I guess I can take a drive to Morebeer and get some if it will make it better.  I don't have any of the needed equipment to do it either.  Damn, I knew I should have told my brother to get dry yeast.  Gonna hit youtube and see what I can find. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 08:59:40 am »
I cannot find any dates on the package, but we bought it about a week ago if I remember correctly. 

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 09:06:11 am »
A while back I discovered I was out of DME and didn't want to postpone my batch, so I used honey for my starter.  If I recall correctly, it worked just fine.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 09:09:28 am »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 09:14:35 am »
Crud, well I don't think I have the DME for a starter, but I guess I can take a drive to Morebeer and get some if it will make it better.  I don't have any of the needed equipment to do it either.  Damn, I knew I should have told my brother to get dry yeast.  Gonna hit youtube and see what I can find.

All you need is a gal. container.  I use an old apple juice jug.  https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/denny/old-dognew-tricks

www.dennybrew.com

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2022, 09:19:31 am »
In lieu of making a starter, you could simply buy (and pitch) more pouches. But starters have other benefits for liquid yeast and making them is a good habit to get in to.

I have gotten away with direct-pitching a single fresh Wyeast pouch in the past...but there have been more times that I did not get away with it. YMMV, but simply put, it's a bad idea to direct-pitch a single Wyeast (or White Labs) pouch. Wyeast's marketing says you can...I don't know how they can claim this with a straight face.

As a side note, IME it's different with Imperial yeast. Yeah it's got more cells, but even old Imperial pouches take off like a rocket. They must feed their yeast steroids. I have no qualms direct-pitching even an old Imperial pouch (although I still make starters for them).

If you are going to Morebeer anyway, it's not a bad idea to pick up some dry yeast packets. They can sit around forever and are good to have on hand for "emergency" situations like this.

Cheers, I hope this wheat beer turns out great!

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 09:22:33 am »
You are lucky to have a LHBS so close.  I have a wine making store, with limited brew supplies, 2 hours away, otherwise it's a 4 hour drive to a bonafied HBS.  I do a lot of mail order.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2022, 09:22:54 am »
I h ave a water bottle that I have been using for measuring.  That could work.  If I use the canned starter, how long do I have to have it prepared before I put it in the wort?  We are brewing tomorrow, so am I going to be pushed for time?  Also, I don't have the stir plate thingie, can I just shake or stir the jug every so often?  This is all new to me, and we are supposed to brew tomorrow.  LOL.