General Category > Beer Recipes

How does this sound?

(1/2) > >>

uintafly:
I found a recipe for a honey porter and it sounded good to me so I plan on brewing it up this weekend and I wonder what your guys' opinion is on it.
.5 lb. Black patent malt
.5 lb chocolate malt
1 lb. medium crystal malt
6 lbs. amber liquid malt extract
2 lbs. wild honey
1 lb. clover honey
1 oz. perles (60 min)
.5 oz fuggles (30 min)
.5 oz fuggles (5 min)
White labs Edinburgh ale yeast

ryang:
Go for it.  Experiment and evaluate.  That's a fair amount of easy fermentables for the yeast.  Watch your temps so you don't get a bunch of fusels.  I judged a "honey porter" and I thought I was going to go blind even after my small pour.

majorvices:
Sounds like way too much honey to me. Honey is going to dry the beer out. With that much honey (almost a third of your entire fermentables) you are almost bordering a braggot.

I'd go with no more than 1 lb of honey and substitute the rest of your fermentables with DME.

euge:
I did a braggot over two years ago and didn't like the results. However, inspired by this thread I dug two of the bottles up and just put them in the fridge. Will report back later.

Thought it was a bit too much honey myself. Based on my experiences with adding honey to beer a pound per 5 gallons is plenty.

bluesman:
Shave back the honey and tweak back the dark malts ever so slightly and you have a nice plan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version