Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Trippel  (Read 2338 times)

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
Belgian Trippel
« on: February 14, 2022, 09:14:03 pm »
I want to brew a special Trippel for my 59th birthday. I’ve tried a few La Fin Du Monde clones with varying success. Looking for a recipe for a terrific trippel, maybe even Bush. Any recommendations or direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Belgian Trippel
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 08:37:28 am »
Triple is dead easy....pils malt and sugar, plus a yeast of your choice. Almost all the flavor comes from the yeast.  Fin du Monde uses some spices, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 09:02:51 am »
Triple is dead easy....pils malt and sugar, plus a yeast of your choice. Almost all the flavor comes from the yeast.  Fin du Monde uses some spices, too.

+1 to all of this. Fin du Monde doesn't really taste like a classic tripel to me, because of the spices. To me WLP500 or WY3787 are best suited to making a beer that tastes like my ideal Tripel, but there are plenty of options out there.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 09:19:49 am »

+1 to all of this. Fin du Monde doesn't really taste like a classic tripel to me, because of the spices. To me WLP500 or WY3787 are best suited to making a beer that tastes like my ideal Tripel, but there are plenty of options out there.

I agree. Pils malt, sugar, noble hops to about 30 IBU and 3787 make my ideal tripel.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 03:28:47 pm »
Thanks!  I appreciate the advice and Denny, I believe the recipe I settled on is a slight variation on one of yours I found.  Supplies ordered!

Cheers!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 10:32:58 am »
Thanks!  I appreciate the advice and Denny, I believe the recipe I settled on is a slight variation on one of yours I found.  Supplies ordered!

Cheers!

make sure to use alot of yeast, aerate and control ferm temps.

Offline JRobert.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 04:58:27 pm »
Just did one with a maple sap reduction if you're looking for a twist on the classic.

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 05:38:26 pm »
Just did one with a maple sap reduction if you're looking for a twist on the classic.

I’m interested to hear more about this. Honest question - isn’t maple sap reduction maple syrup?  Did you replace the Candi sugar with maple syrup or maple water?  I think that flavor would blend well into a trippel.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 08:21:21 pm »

I’m interested to hear more about this. Honest question - isn’t maple sap reduction maple syrup?  Did you replace the Candi sugar with maple syrup or maple water?  I think that flavor would blend well into a trippel.

yes, maple sap just boils down to maple syrup, or i suppose if you keep going it will either caramelize or burn and result in a further reduction.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 08:00:52 am »

I agree. Pils malt, sugar, noble hops to about 30 IBU and 3787 make my ideal tripel.
What would be your choice if you had to use a dry yeast?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 08:17:35 am »

What would be your choice if you had to use a dry yeast?

Hate to tell ya, but I have never found a dry yeast that makes a decent tripel.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 02:12:15 pm »
If you like a fruity tripel that is low in phenols, like I do, SafeAle BE-256 (formerly called Abbaye) makes a pretty good tripel.

Last year I did a split batch between Abbaye and Mangrove Jack's tripel yeast. The Mangrove Jack yeast would not flocculate, whereas the Abbaye finished and dropped quickly.  After 5 weeks in the primary without dropping, I ended up kegging the Mangrove Jack batch with gelatin, then transferred the beer after a couple of days to another keg.

Both made tasty tripels. My past tripel brewing procedure was to brew 10 gallons of 1.050 Belgian single and split between WY3522 (Lachouffe) and WY3787 (Westmalle), then use the yeast cakes to brew tripels. While the dry yeasts may not provide the complexity of those liquid yeasts, I found them very good. The beer seems to take a lot longer to age, but after a couple of months they were outstanding.   

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 01:15:24 pm »
I have a pack of SafeAle BE-256 that I need to use. I'll use it for a Golden Strong or Trippel. Wyeast 3787 is my favorite yeast for Trippel. BE-256 makes a decent Quad too.