Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: nitro is idiotic  (Read 1740 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
nitro is idiotic
« on: February 16, 2022, 10:38:51 pm »
there is no beer i've ever had, type or even individual pint/can where i thought "OH GOOD ITS NITRO". but i would grudgingly get guinness on nitro when in a place that had nothing better, or i was desperate for variation from pale lager.

it mutes aroma
the body is simply different, and frankly not superior in any way to appropriate carbonation. many british beers in cans get appropriate lower carbonation with co2,
it comes as a stupid 440ml in a 500ml can

IT EXPLODES EVERY SINGLE TIME
just had an o'haras stout sitting at cold temp for 12 hours and it literally exploded all over my arms and table.

THERES NO NEED FOR NITRO AT ALL.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: nitro is idiotic
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 04:41:48 am »
I love what nitro can do for many beers.  It makes a plain beer creamy.  This doesn't work in every beer style known to man.  But for many beers, it adds something interesting to make for a more enjoyable experience.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 05:46:15 am »
Nitro works for some beers. It is just replicating what a beer engine does when serving a beer on cask without oxidizing the beer and destroying its shelf life. I like a Guinness on nitro.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 06:42:48 am »
I like some beers on nitro, including Guinness. It's another tool, sometimes used to great effect, sometimes not.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 07:51:26 am »
I just had a can of Boddington's that had some gizmo inside it that made it pour all cascading and fancy.  Drank nice and creamy and the head lasted the entire pint.  Quite enjoyable.

Online Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 07:53:46 am »
there is no beer i've ever had, type or even individual pint/can where i thought "OH GOOD ITS NITRO". but i would grudgingly get guinness on nitro when in a place that had nothing better, or i was desperate for variation from pale lager.

it mutes aroma
the body is simply different, and frankly not superior in any way to appropriate carbonation. many british beers in cans get appropriate lower carbonation with co2,
it comes as a stupid 440ml in a 500ml can

IT EXPLODES EVERY SINGLE TIME
just had an o'haras stout sitting at cold temp for 12 hours and it literally exploded all over my arms and table.

THERES NO NEED FOR NITRO AT ALL.

Hopefully you're only trying to convince yourself of that. What's really idiotic is stating an opinion as fact!
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 11:38:01 am »
The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 11:49:28 am »

And that no one really cares about our opinions
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 12:25:19 pm »
Amen!
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 03:09:25 pm »
they need an improved widget that doesn't explode, then i might be neutral about nitro.

id still prefer guinness "draught" with co2 instead of nitro simply for taste/texture

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 04:41:27 pm »
I have never, ever had a widget explode and I buy a lot of Guinness and Boddington Pub Ale in the nitro cans.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 07:18:42 pm »
I'm not a nitro fan either. I always get a metallic taste out of it. Big fan of cask beer and I would rather have a low CO2 keg than nitro.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2022, 05:10:45 pm »
For some reason nitro doesn't sit well with me at all. Feel bloated, gassy for a couple of days after drinking 1 nitro brew.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2022, 06:16:00 pm »
they need an improved widget that doesn't explode, then i might be neutral about nitro.

id still prefer guinness "draught" with co2 instead of nitro simply for taste/texture

It's supposed to "explode". That sudden agitation from pressurized beer and gas rapidly jetting out of the widget's pinhole is what creates the creamy head.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2023, 09:06:50 pm »
been drinking guinness extra stout in a bottle on a kick for about 2 weeks now.

i love it, its faults are - slight soda-water taste, lack of maltiness supporting distinct and admirable smokey-dark roast. but that is honestly it which is impressive as hell for a macro beer.

guinness without the nitro crap is one of the last widely available truly GOOD macro scale beers. (not getting in the reality that say for example voodoo ranger or other megacraft has a mass scale, and if it is "good" or not)

i still hate nitro and always will. guinness has a lot going for it and nitro just brings it down several notches.