Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vitamin C in commercial beer  (Read 18389 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Vitamin C in commercial beer
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 06:44:04 pm »
I would think so. And as far as I can tell, when I loose any aroma, I pull the bag and add more to the keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, same here. Especially when the keg is carbed, I assume the heavier CO2 drives any O2 up toward the lid.

not to mention these types of beers don't last long in my house!

Not long at all. Especially when my friends are over.  ;)

i just popped open the keg of APA i dry hopped with  mandarina to add more hops, and it's 1/2 gone! i'm not sure how that happened!  :o

Never fails. And it's always the best ones, of course.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 06:47:59 pm »
I would think so. And as far as I can tell, when I loose any aroma, I pull the bag and add more to the keg.

Yeah, same here. Especially when the keg is carbed, I assume the heavier CO2 drives any O2 up toward the lid.

i just popped open the keg of APA i dry hopped with  mandarina to add more hops, and it's 1/2 gone! i'm not sure how that happened!  :o

Never fails. And it's always the best ones, of course.

BTW meant to ask you if you've tried wlp090 in your APA or IPA yet. its a beast and attenuates strong like nothing i've used.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 07:19:53 pm »

I understand this phenomenon.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 07:22:21 pm »
Ken, I've used 090 a few times. Works great, and FAST. It's done so quick I thought it stalled the first time.
Jon H.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2022, 07:34:15 pm »
I use some ascorbic acid in all my IPAs and Pale ales.  It helps them retain that vibrant hop aroma and flavor longer imho.

This is something I'd like to test and it would be darn easy.  When do you add it, Dan?

Did you ever do this?  If so, what was the outcome?

Offline berserkbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2022, 07:53:38 pm »
I used ascorbic acid in all by bottled beers back in the day. Oxygen absorbing caps as well. Definitely helped keep it fresh over months of storage.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

1 gallon experimenter

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2022, 08:20:38 pm »
I have heard that ascorbic acid alone can create hydrogen peroxide, which is bad in packaged beer, so it should be used in conjunction with SO2. I am wondering now about preventing oxidation at the end of a mash in a BIAB or AIO system, where the wort drains down out of the basket/bag into the kettle. What would be the best antioxidant to use at this point? Would any peroxide from AA be destroyed in the boil or would it still need to be combined with SO2?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

Vitamin C in commercial beer
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2022, 09:29:58 pm »
The guys at Genus Brewing add AA directly in the mash using a Mash and Boil all-in-one BIAB setup doing exactly what you describe. I asked in another thread if an all malted barley mash contains SO2 and was told it didn’t.  …but these guys swear by it and from what I can tell they’ve been using it for years with great results.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 09:35:40 pm by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2022, 05:34:36 am »
This thread is so old I don't even remember replying to it initially. There are products available to commercial brewers that contain ascorbic acid and metabisulfite combination that prevent oxidation in the brewhouse and the package -- one is called Antioxin SBT. So it may be that the brewer in the original post was forced to put this ingredient on the label. They probably only put "Vitamin C" on the label because it sounds less sinister than "ascorbic acid".

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2022, 03:37:54 pm »
Vitamin C is used as an antioxidant in sodas.  Oxidized vitamin C can leave a precipitate.

They could have used cinnamon following Charlie P's recommendation.
Pretty sure vitamin C is citric acid.

Offline ynotbrusum

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster

Offline CDCH

• 1st Kit
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2023, 03:54:46 pm »
Be very carefully using Ascorbic Acid.  THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE between vitamin C and lab derived synthetic Ascorbic Acid (e300).  I personal have a very bad reaction to synthetic vitamin C and and can tell within a few hours if the beer has synthetic vitamin C.  Make sure you just use a few drops of natural lemon or lime citric acid.  Not enough to flavor your beer, but enough to work.  I am afraid most of the Ascorbic Acid that is sold is synthetic.   :-[
https://paleovalley.com/articles/natural-vitamin-c-vs-synthetic-ascorbic-acid-is-there-a-difference?utm_source=google-ads&utm_medium=aw_search_dynamic&utm_campaign=18336011483&utm_id=g&utm_term=-&utm_content=621761175061&gclid=Cj0KCQiArsefBhCbARIsAP98hXQ7mwCygdhNJUTYTObNfRrNszbBJjgrHwPS_wGqI37IPDnHbBrlyakaAsFcEALw_wcB