Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apical Dominance Russian River  (Read 892 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Apical Dominance Russian River
« on: February 21, 2022, 01:24:21 pm »
I have been eyeballing this for a while, but wasn't sure what it was.  The other day I was at Wines and More and thought what the hell.  Let's give it a shot.  It is really good.  Has a very citrus smell, almost grapefruit like.  It is a very light taste and finishes very clean.  I did some looking and Russian River calls it a Hoppy Blonde Ale.  I am going to have to do a bit of research cause this could be something to add that isn't an IPA.  LOL.  Anyway, now I am curious about Blonde Ale's and what you all have in that arena. Based on the description on the Russian River website, they use Citra, Crystal, Comet and
Talus hops.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Apical Dominance Russian River
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 07:28:07 am »
I haven't had this beer, but in my opinion a "Hoppy Blond Ale" is just an APA with a fancy name. A more typical Blond Ale isn't going to smell intensely citrus/grapefruit, but it may have a lower amount of that character in balance with some toasty or crackery malt flavors coming from Pale/Pilsner/Vienna malt.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 08:03:02 am »
I haven't had this beer, but in my opinion a "Hoppy Blond Ale" is just an APA with a fancy name. A more typical Blond Ale isn't going to smell intensely citrus/grapefruit, but it may have a lower amount of that character in balance with some toasty or crackery malt flavors coming from Pale/Pilsner/Vienna malt.

Cool.  I just went with what the description of the beer was on Russian River's website.  So I will look more towards APA to see what I can find.  It was really good. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 10:06:15 am »
blonde ale and cream ale are interchangeable here imho.

belgian blonde ale tends(tended?) to mean a fairly sweet and chewy 6 to 7% ABV beer. i kind of miss those now that i think about them

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 10:22:14 am »
blonde ale and cream ale are interchangeable here imho.

belgian blonde ale tends(tended?) to mean a fairly sweet and chewy 6 to 7% ABV beer. i kind of miss those now that i think about them

I would agree that Blonde & Cream are very similar, but I think there are differences, however subtle.  Where a Cream should be light, crisp, clean and almost lager-like, I think a Blonde can (and should) have a bit more character...a little bit more malt and hop presence.  And then there's Kolsch, which is another sibling...