General Category > Ingredients

Berry Beer

(1/3) > >>

jfin:
I am going to add some blackberries to my fermentor this weekend.  at what rate should I add?  I heard blueberries are 1 pound per gallon.  is it the same with blackberries?  I also realize it depends berryness I really want.

majorvices:
The general rule is one to two lbs of fruit per gallon. This is one beer where you may want to use a secondary a trimary because you may end up having problems with the seeds.

jfin:
The beer is in a secondary now.  I was going to siphon it into a tertiary (7 gallon bucket) and add fruit.  I have just added flavorings in the past but always wanted to add real fruit.

ryang:

--- Quote from: jfin on September 17, 2010, 05:47:43 AM ---The beer is in a secondary now.  I was going to siphon it into a tertiary (7 gallon bucket) and add fruit.  I have just added flavorings in the past but always wanted to add real fruit.

--- End quote ---

I would put the fruit in secondary.  No need to transfer that much -- and you don't want to put it in a... quadernary?? :o.  Only a tertiary if there's a bunch of fruit gunk you want gone.  Less transferring beer=less chance of contamination issues and less work

majorvices:
+1. You should put the fruit in the secondary and then only siphon to a trimary (tertiary, whatever) only if you notice lots of seeds and chunks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version