Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast  (Read 17132 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2022, 08:19:40 am »
I had a very sluggish fermentation with Diamond, even with pitching 2 packs in 4 gallons and fermenting at 52-55.  It's finally cleaning up with time but it stunk like old bread and feet (not sulfur) at first.  I'm wondering if the Label Peelers discount yeast is garbage.

Hard to say, but I have used Diamond many times and not had sluggish fermentation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2022, 08:30:48 am »
I had a very sluggish fermentation with Diamond, even with pitching 2 packs in 4 gallons and fermenting at 52-55.  It's finally cleaning up with time but it stunk like old bread and feet (not sulfur) at first.  I'm wondering if the Label Peelers discount yeast is garbage.
I have also experience sluggish starts, but they turned out well. 
The last few packets of Diamond and BRY 97 that I bought were already past their expiration dates.  The Diamond I pitched last weekend had a best by date of December 2021.  I need to remember who sold me those.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2022, 01:44:51 pm »
Yea, occasional slow starts, but overall fermentation finishes just as quickly as other dry lager yeasts.  Measured by Tilt and fermented under pressure with spunding valve at 10-12 psi, mid-50’sF.

YMMV, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2022, 05:42:47 pm »
Hmm. I’m pretty much ready to spund Diamond lager in a 1.048 beer by day 5 or 6. I just brewed with Morebeers Berlin strain(S23?) and same pitch rate etc took a full 12 days to reach terminal gravity.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2022, 06:27:10 pm »
Hmm. I’m pretty much ready to spund Diamond lager in a 1.048 beer by day 5 or 6. I just brewed with Morebeers Berlin strain(S23?) and same pitch rate etc took a full 12 days to reach terminal gravity.
My experience with S23 was never slow. I have not tried the Cellar Science Berlin.

Temperature is a big factor in fermentation speed with lagers. 55F (where I generally ferment lagers) goes way faster than 48F in my experience.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2022, 06:29:00 pm »
I’ve used lots of Label Peelers dry yeast including Diamond. I have had several packs arrive near the expiration date. I haven’t had any problems with their yeast though.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2022, 07:47:21 pm »
I’ve used lots of Label Peelers dry yeast including Diamond. I have had several packs arrive near the expiration date. I haven’t had any problems with their yeast though.

Good points on fern temp. Both Diamond beer and Berlin pitched beer fermented at 50F. Diamond rips at this temp.

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #217 on: February 19, 2022, 04:29:14 pm »
When it comes to yeast if I have time to hot a homebrew shop I will get liquid yeast. If I know I will not have time or will be brewing at a later date I’ll get dry yeast.  When I am in the mood to blend I’ll most likely get dry yeast for that as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2022, 07:00:55 am »
What temperature did you ferment at?

Regarding my S-189 vs. Diamond experiment, the S-189 was at 68 F, and Diamond at 65 F.  So, both pretty warm.  The S-189 has hints of esters, whereas I don't get any esters from the Diamond at 65 F.  YMMV.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2022, 01:36:40 pm »
Thanks to this thread, back in November I ordered some Diamond yeast. I brewed this on November 15:

10 gallons, OG 1.048

18 lbs. Weyermann Bavarian pilsener malt
0.5 lbs. Weyermann Melanoidan malt
6 oz. Weyermann acid malt

Mash at 153° for 2.5 hours (I had a 2 hour Teams call).

4 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh FWH
2 oz. Saaz 15 min

3 packets of Lallemand Diamond lager yeast split between two fermenters at 48-52°F. Fermented for two weeks, kegged, then lagered for 2 months at 35°F before tapping.

I think this is the best lager I have ever brewed. Very impressed with this yeast.