Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Viability of Yeast  (Read 2165 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Viability of Yeast
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 06:20:24 pm »
Dry yeast and yeast from a starter are in different metabolic states. Dry yeast has been processed in such a way that it has all the reserves it needs to grow and reproduce for several generations so you don't need to provide any oxygen when you pitch it. Once you make a starter you have taken it into the growth phase and used up most or all of those reserves so you will need to oxygenate or aerate your wort, just as for liquid yeast. You have wiped out one of the advantages of dry yeast, which is probably why it is not recommended. If you need to test the yeast, though, go ahead and do it.

You are correct.

… which is why the below propagation tech sheet instructs the brewer to oxygenate.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/LAL-bestpractices-Propagation-digital.pdf

Essentially how to make a yeast starter for dry yeast from Lallemand.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2022, 04:38:04 am »
I reached out to Lallemand about the propagation protocol for Diamond lager yeast. Specifically asking about step three where it says to oxygenate at 1-1.2 Lpm for 24 hours. They confirmed to provide oxygenation/aeration continuously for that 24 hour period.

narvin

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2022, 05:23:49 am »
I reached out to Lallemand about the propagation protocol for Diamond lager yeast. Specifically asking about step three where it says to oxygenate at 1-1.2 Lpm for 24 hours. They confirmed to provide oxygenation/aeration continuously for that 24 hour period.

That's like a whole 5lb tank of oxygen.  While that may be appropriate for a 100HL batch, it seems like overkill at home. Try SNS or, if you still believe in it, your trusty old stir plate.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2022, 11:36:54 am »

That's like a whole 5lb tank of oxygen.  While that may be appropriate for a 100HL batch, it seems like overkill at home. Try SNS or, if you still believe in it, your trusty old stir plate.
Or pitch another pack or two of dry yeast and skip the whole propagation process...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2022, 11:44:18 am »

Or pitch another pack or two of dry yeast and skip the whole propagation process...

Yep
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2022, 01:49:34 pm »

I agree. They have an app for that. With OG, temp, and volume taken into consideration, many times it’s not even a whole extra pack and others it’s more than two.  https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/brewers-corner/brewing-tools/pitching-rate-calculator/

narvin

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2022, 03:18:03 pm »
Agreed, I've never made a starter with dry yeast, but if I did I wouldn't waste my oxygen tank on it!

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2022, 08:39:23 pm »
I imagined the protocol using sterile filtered air for this step and not pure O2?