Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help with cloudiness and haze  (Read 5443 times)

Offline brewhawk

• 1st Kit
Help with cloudiness and haze
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:00:47 pm »
I am an all-grain brewer and have not brewed an extract beer in years.  However, I have a couple of friends who have gluten allergies and I wanted to brew a gluten-free beer for them.  Knowing their tastes lean towards the lighter side, I decide to brew a light American lager.  For a five-gallon recipe, I used 3 lbs. of white sorghum extract, 2 lbs of rice syrup solids and 1.5 lb of clover honey.  At 14 minutes in the boil, I added my usual 1 tsp. of Irish moss as my fining agent.  After chilling to 65F, I pitched Saflager S-23 lager yeast and it has been fermenting at 60F for two days.  My problem is that this beer is as cloudy and hazy as a hefeweizen if not more so.   Since I am expecting something as clear as a Budweiser or Coors, I am a little concerned about the level of proteins in the sorghum extract.  Can anybody suggest a clarifier or fining agent that can be added during primary or secondary fermentation and will hold up when I lager it at 35F?  Many thanks for the input.

Brewhawk (thrilled with tonight's Hawkeye Orange Bowl victory)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Help with cloudiness and haze
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:40:03 am »
I would let it go through full fermentation (2-3 weeks) and then evaluate it.  If it's still cloudy then you might look into using gelatin.  BTW... 60F is a little warm for a Lager fermentation. Mid 50's would be better... Great job Hawks!!! (From a Husker fan!!)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:42:50 am by hamiltont »
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline mrdrysdale64

• Cellarman
    • Bay Area Mashtronauts
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:06:21 pm »
I agree with hamiltont. I have used unflavored gelatin was great success. I have never used sorghum and very curious how it will work.
Mike "Mr. Drysdale" White
Bay Area Mashtronauts

Offline brewhawk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:34:35 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I am taking it down to 48F and see if things improve.  Go Hawks!

Brewhawk

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:02:06 am »
After chilling to 65F, I pitched Saflager S-23 lager yeast and it has been fermenting at 60F for two days.  My problem is that this beer is as cloudy and hazy as a hefeweizen if not more so. Since I am expecting something as clear as a Budweiser or Coors, I am a little concerned about the level of proteins in the sorghum extract.

Using lot's of adjunct like rice solids can still give a haze. Evaluating for clarity only after just a few days of fermentation? A tad bit early. :D After the lagering phase it will probably have cleared up.

How does it look now?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:39:49 pm »
I would leave the S-23 around 60F, it actually works better at that temp than at normal lager temps IMHO.  Makes a good steam type beer.  If you still have haze issues after 6 weeks, I would go the gelatin route.  I use it pretty often if I'm in a hurry to get a beer clear and it works great.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 05:48:21 am »
I have never used a finning agent other than irish moss.  How (quantity and form) and when is it generally used? Does anyone have a link to good instructions?  I too am an extract/partial mash brewer that is having some trouble with cloudiness in my ales. It clears up, but only after much time (2 months) in the fridge after bottling.  Since I bottle rather than keg, I need yeast to condition the beer, do I need to add yeast in my bottling bucket after I use geletin?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:06:58 am by troy@uk »
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 12:42:45 pm »
Does anyone have a link to good instructions?

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64190&hilit=Gelatine
Use a glass jar, and fill it with a cup or cup-and-a-half of tap water. Not hot or warm or cold.... just cool. About 70-80 degrees. Put 1-3 teaspoons of gelatin in there and let it sit for 20 minutes. Swirl it up good (it will be cloudy) and pop it into the microwave. Set it for about a minute, but you need to watch it and take it out as soon as it's clear. The glass will be warm.

Since I bottle rather than keg, I need yeast to condition the beer, do I need to add yeast in my bottling bucket after I use geletin?
You can put gelatine into bottling bucket.
You should not need to add more yeast.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com