Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SPAM?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Re: SPAM?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2022, 12:42:35 pm »
I've been spending hours a day trying to keep up with it. Jeff Rankert has, too. Remember, we're volunteers. We have lives outside the forum. We're doing what we can.

Denny, your efforts are much appreciated. I manage another hobby site and dealing with spammers isn't always easy, but oh so satisfying when they are gone.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 12:17:45 pm »
Are there any technological solutions to the spam? It seems something could be done at the point of setting up a new account.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 01:55:53 pm »
Are there any technological solutions to the spam? It seems something could be done at the point of setting up a new account.

With this forum software, the only choices are to let anybody register or require a new reCAPTCHA for every post or reply in the forum. I don't want people to go through that, so the solution is that your trusty mods will keep working to remove spam and ban spammers as soon as we can.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 01:57:20 pm »
The other fermentables forum is their favorite place to post for some reason.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2022, 05:43:50 am »

With this forum software, the only choices are to let anybody register or require a new reCAPTCHA for every post or reply in the forum. I don't want people to go through that, so the solution is that your trusty mods will keep working to remove spam and ban spammers as soon as we can.
Wow, what a bummer, sorry. I am surprised there is no plug in or something available.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2022, 06:38:11 am »
I've been spending hours a day trying to keep up with it. Jeff Rankert has, too. Remember, we're volunteers. We have lives outside the forum. We're doing what we can.

I thank you Denny.  These spam posts are getting ridiculous and I understand how volunteering works.  Thank you for your knowledge, your time and your devotion to this forum.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Fire Rooster

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2022, 06:44:13 am »
There's something seriously wrong with those who take the time and effort bothering others.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2022, 07:19:34 am »
There's something seriously wrong with those who take the time and effort bothering others.
+1. I never understood the value.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2022, 07:41:47 am »
I just removed about 10 posts from the Other fermentables forum.

All had a link to thier webpage, one said "Sports Message".  Yeah, right.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2022, 10:16:40 am »
They are not really taking time and effort, these are computer programs created once that then go out to thousands or millions with links to malware or fake products etc. We think they are stupid but if 1 in 1,000 people click they are worth it. I have read something like 40% of internet traffic are spam bots.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2022, 11:22:58 am »
Jeff lives a couple time zones east of me, so a lot of times he'll remove stuff before I see it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2022, 12:50:41 pm »
Jeff lives a couple time zones east of me, so a lot of times he'll remove stuff before I see it.

If I remember to check before noon.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2022, 01:08:16 pm »

If I remember to check before noon.

I get up between 4-5 AM so there's nothing else to do at that hour!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2022, 09:24:30 pm »
I wonder if changing the name of the Other Fermentables sub-forum would stop some of the SPAM?  Likely the SPAM is being dropped by a program or script that is coded to go to that sun-forum for whatever reason. If the program can’t find Other Fermentables will it just move on?

Just a guess that very well could be wrong.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2022, 02:42:15 pm »

Unfortunately, we've all probably encountered in online forums, isn't limited to homebrewing, true PITAs, whom have nothing better to do than SPAM or criticize. Really a shame. Do appreciate the efforts to mitigate the idiots whom posted multiple SPAMs. I know it isn't always easy. The SPAMMERS always seem 1 step ahead...