Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cellar Science Berlin Yeast  (Read 1258 times)

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
Cellar Science Berlin Yeast
« on: March 02, 2022, 02:34:42 am »
Brewed with this yeast recently and have to say it makes a tasty beer. The flavor description is pretty spot on.

“A popular yeast strain with a Berlin lineage that is famous for producing amazing lagers with soft malt character and balanced esters. “

I direct pitched heavy at 1.8 grams per liter at 65F and lowered temp to 50F for fermentation. The yeast is much slower than Diamond taking a full 12 days to hit terminal. Diamond typically finishes by day 6-7 with a similar pitch rate and temp, with peak fermentation temp of 55F.

Definitely less malty than Diamond and pleasant ester profile. Very slight sulfur with a crisp finish.

Recipe was mostly pils malt with 2% carahell. 1.047-1.009. Large Whirlpool charge of Strata for the only hop addition. The hops and esters  are working well together.

Going to give the Cellar Science German a try next in a more traditional Helles.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 05:15:22 am »
I am pretty sure that yeast is a repack of Fermentis S-23. The morebeer.com website has this little nugget on their S-23 page (which I am sure Fermentis just loves).

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 05:16:55 am by tommymorris »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Cellar Science Berlin Yeast
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 05:37:03 am »
I love repacks when they are significantly cheaper.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 08:03:56 am »

i always wonder how that's possible though. just buying in huge quantity and reselling on a low margin, undercutting what retail stores sell the original for?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 11:22:09 am »

i always wonder how that's possible though. just buying in huge quantity and reselling on a low margin, undercutting what retail stores sell the original for?

Absolutely.  Everything is so overpriced these days, it wouldn't take much creativity to steal some profits away from the bigger companies.  Another piece of the puzzle is package size.  In the case of Mangrove Jack, notice how the typical pack size of 11 to 11.5 grams from other manufacturers is miraculously only 10 grams in the MJ packs.  Hmm......
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 11:54:32 am »
I am pretty sure that yeast is a repack of Fermentis S-23. The morebeer.com website has this little nugget on their S-23 page (which I am sure Fermentis just loves).

Fermentis says S23 originated in Berlin. Learn something every day.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 12:12:32 pm »
I think a culture from the VLB Institute?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 12:22:43 pm »

Fermentis says S23 originated in Berlin. Learn something every day.
I thought S-23 was the dry version of PILSNER URQUELL H-STRAIN.  Did it originally come from Berlin?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 12:32:42 pm by BrewBama »

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 08:27:38 pm »
Just curious, are these "off-brands" really full-on repacks, as in, the genuine original product simply put a different package? I have read on this forum that they are, but I have my doubts (no offense, folks).

Trader Joe's does a lot of "repacks," where they contract with major food manufacturers for popular products and slap the TJ's brand name on them. But TJ's-branded products don't taste the same, or as good, as the original product from the mfr. I assume it's because TJ's instructs the contractor to take various shortcuts to make the products cheaper so that their margins are higher. So same product, but slightly lower quality.

Morebeer sells S-23 for $0.56 per gram while the Berlin yeast is (typically) $0.37 per gram. If these are the same strain, this is a pretty big difference--big enough to make we wonder if I'd be getting the same product.

My skepticism might be off-base here, and admittedly I have not used Cellar Science or Mangrove Jack repacks, so I can't speak to how great they might be...

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 06:44:50 am »
Brewmaster is the MoreBeer wholesale brand. A while back I found this entry on the Brewmaster site: “Cellar Science takes the best winemaking and brewing products from across the world, and packages them in convenient sizes for you. Our yeast is packaged in a dedicated, state of the art room with HEPA filtration.  Chemicals and additives are packed in convenient sizes for 6 gallon or 60 gallon batches of wine, or efficient bulk sizes. We use custom designed oxygen, light, and moisture barrier bags for the best quality and shelf life.”

However, they seem to have edited that statement lately.

They do this with grain under the Brewmaster name and hops under the Artisan name as well as other product lines. The Cellar Science brand is for yeast, enzymes, yeast nutrients, and additives.

Though I cannot confirm from their site and emails from the company give no clarity, I believe Mangrove Jacks uses the same business model.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 07:58:49 am by BrewBama »

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 07:42:57 am »
Fermentis ADY is available in 10KG packs. Perhaps the cost savings allows a profit on the repack?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 08:33:47 pm »
Just curious, are these "off-brands" really full-on repacks, as in, the genuine original product simply put a different package? I have read on this forum that they are, but I have my doubts (no offense, folks).

Trader Joe's does a lot of "repacks," where they contract with major food manufacturers for popular products and slap the TJ's brand name on them. But TJ's-branded products don't taste the same, or as good, as the original product from the mfr. I assume it's because TJ's instructs the contractor to take various shortcuts to make the products cheaper so that their margins are higher. So same product, but slightly lower quality.

Morebeer sells S-23 for $0.56 per gram while the Berlin yeast is (typically) $0.37 per gram. If these are the same strain, this is a pretty big difference--big enough to make we wonder if I'd be getting the same product.

My skepticism might be off-base here, and admittedly I have not used Cellar Science or Mangrove Jack repacks, so I can't speak to how great they might be...

Most of the packaged food sold through major brands and store brands are manufactured at a relatively small number of businesses that pack products under different labels. Yes major brands might tweak recipes or require tighter variance to ensure a certain standard of quality that store brands might not but the difference in products is rarely substantial.

Very little would stop you from buying commercial sized pitches of yeast from BSI or another major yeast lab and repackage or grow up the culture and start your own lab.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing