Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Pitch rates  (Read 2265 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Yeast Pitch rates
« on: March 03, 2022, 01:19:23 am »
So, as I order ingredients for my next brew I have come across a question.  If I am only doing a 2.5 gallon brew of a 5 gallon recipe, do I need to try and figure out a way to cut the yeast in half as well?  If so, do I pour it into a small cup and weigh it and cut the weight in half?  Or, can I just pour the whole packet in and let it go from there?  Thanks in advance guys, I am hoping to do this over the weekend.  RR

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Yeast Pitch rates
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 04:28:07 am »
Here's what I do.

Feel the pack before you pour it.  Pitch about half into your brew based on feel.  Fold the corner over and tape it.  Put it back into your refrigerator.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

Yeast Pitch rates
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 04:57:56 am »
Some folks don’t get wrapped around the axle about pitch rate and use the ‘one pack a batch method’.  However, most dry yeast manufacturers suggest using weight to calculate cell count.

I use the Lallemand pitch rate calculator for their yeast products (Bry-97 most often) because it takes volume, temperature, and gravity into consideration… or the Fermentis general rule of .5-.8 grams per liter for Ales and .8-1 gram per liter for Lagers.

A quick rule of thumb for pitching rate is 6.5 grams of Ale yeast or 13 grams of Lager yeast per gravity point divided by 25 in a 5.5 gal batch. (6 and 12 per 25 points in 5 gal). (Gravity points / 25)*6.5 or 13 = pitch rate in grams.  I would halve that in a 2.5 gal batch.

I store my yeast vacuum sealed in the refrigerator. Lallemand states that if the yeast is resealed under vacuum and stored cold it can be expected to be viable until it’s expiration date (2 years from mfr). 

I have found it is viable beyond the expiration date. I have been using the same brick of Bry-97 I bought in Apr ‘20 with an expiration of Apr ‘21 without noticing any degraded performance. YMMV
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 05:04:27 am by BrewBama »

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 05:57:14 am »
Some folks don’t get wrapped around the axle about pitch rate and use the ‘one pack a batch method’.  However, most dry yeast manufacturers suggest using weight to calculate cell count.

I use the Lallemand pitch rate calculator for their yeast products (Bry-97 most often) because it takes volume, temperature, and gravity into consideration… or the Fermentis general rule of .5-.8 grams per liter for Ales and .8-1 gram per liter for Lagers.

A quick rule of thumb for pitching rate is 6.5 grams of Ale yeast or 13 grams of Lager yeast per gravity point divided by 25 in a 5.5 gal batch. (6 and 12 per 25 points in 5 gal). (Gravity points / 25)*6.5 or 13 = pitch rate in grams.  I would halve that in a 2.5 gal batch.

I store my yeast vacuum sealed in the refrigerator. Lallemand states that if the yeast is resealed under vacuum and stored cold it can be expected to be viable until it’s expiration date (2 years from mfr). 

I have found it is viable beyond the expiration date. I have been using the same brick of Bry-97 I bought in Apr ‘20 with an expiration of Apr ‘21 without noticing any degraded performance. YMMV

In White and Zainasheff's "Yeast" (Brewer's Publications) they give pitching rate calculations based on cell counts, leaving the cells per gram (taking into account viability) up to the reader (pg 123).

I like the Lallemand calculator way better.

Wish I could go back to those heady days of just ripping open the packet and tossing it in. But I have looked into the abyss of pitching rate calculations and come away changed.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 06:35:39 am »

Awesome.  thank you.  I will see what I can figure out with the liquid yeast.  I guess I can pour it in a bowl and measure it that way, right?  Then either make the starter or put it in the wort. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 06:36:11 am »
So, as I order ingredients for my next brew I have come across a question.  If I am only doing a 2.5 gallon brew of a 5 gallon recipe, do I need to try and figure out a way to cut the yeast in half as well?  If so, do I pour it into a small cup and weigh it and cut the weight in half?  Or, can I just pour the whole packet in and let it go from there?  Thanks in advance guys, I am hoping to do this over the weekend.  RR

I brew 3 gallon batches (fermenter volume) all the time and always use the full pack of yeast (dry or liquid).  Is this "overpitching" the optimum method of yeast handling?  Probably not.  But it's brainless and I'm not about to concern myself with storing open packs.  I haven't yet had a problem (that I'm aware of).  I will acknowledge that there are some beer styles that *might* benefit from a more appropriate pitch rate (Hefeweizen?), but that's probably a topic for another thread.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 06:58:29 am »

I brew 3 gallon batches (fermenter volume) all the time and always use the full pack of yeast (dry or liquid).  Is this "overpitching" the optimum method of yeast handling?  Probably not.  But it's brainless and I'm not about to concern myself with storing open packs.  I haven't yet had a problem (that I'm aware of).  I will acknowledge that there are some beer styles that *might* benefit from a more appropriate pitch rate (Hefeweizen?), but that's probably a topic for another thread.

Thank you for the reply.  If I use dry yeast, which I will in one of the two I am going to do, I will try and measure.  If I use liquid, which I have yet to order because MoreBeer is out of it, I might just dump the whole thing in and see what happens.  These two are more experimental brews. 

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 08:43:26 am »
I brew three gallon batches and throw in the entire pack for ales; two packs for lagers.
I also use Muntons 6 gram packs for bitters and milds.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 08:58:50 am »
There are many things in homebrewing that are not as cut and dry as it would seem. Pitch rate is one of those. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 05:38:17 pm »
For 2.5-3 gallons of wort I'll pitch 1/2 pack and save (vacuum sealed) the balance to brew another small batch if I'm planning on brewing again soon. If I'm not going to brew another beer soon I'll just pitch the whole pack in.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 05:41:51 pm by purduekenn »

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 07:07:43 pm »
Don't mess around with trying to measure half of a pack of yeast. Just pitch it all. Making beer should be fun so don't stress over things that may not make any difference.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 07:13:57 pm »
Don't mess around with trying to measure half of a pack of yeast. Just pitch it all. Making beer should be fun so don't stress over things that may not make any difference.
I agree. I have measured half a pack a couple of times. It makes me paranoid that I might be contaminating the yeast.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 01:09:06 pm »
Cell count has been published many times with wide variations, so I don't try to get exact about it. I'd use the whole packet.

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2022, 01:59:40 am »
Pitch rate is obviously not an exact science, and is also another variable we can use to manipulate the outcome. But I choose to simplify my processes, and using the Lallemand pitch rate calculator is one of those, when I use dry yeast. I weigh it onto a piece of aluminium foil and reseal the pack. Not best practice, I'm sure, but it works for me.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2022, 05:19:09 am »
If you have a clean disposable plastic cup fresh out of the package and a gram scale you can measure in that and pour it into your fermenter without any sanitation concerns. Then tape the packet shut for further use.