Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much flavor does yeast bring in?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
How much flavor does yeast bring in?
« on: March 04, 2022, 03:55:28 pm »
Reason for my question is pretty simple.  I ordered a 2.5 gallon all grain recipe ingredients from MoreBeer.  The did not have in stock the Wyeast 1450 that the recipe called for.  I ordered another 2.5 gallon recipe from Austin Home Brew to try my Blind Pig again, only this time all grain and in bottles to see if I screwed up somewhere.  Austin Home Brew had the Wyeast 1450, so I ordered it from them.  My Morebeer package just arrived and I was hoping to brew tomorrow since I don't have anything to do.  I have a packet of Safale US05 that I was going to use for my redo of Blind Pig.  My question is, will the taste of the final product matter if I use the US05 in place of the 1450?  If so, I can wait a weekend, I am sure my wife has a list of other things I could be doing.  And I know, the 1460 is Denny's fave, as it is advertised as such.  Honestly, that is why I wanted to try it.  Any input would be appreciated. 

RR
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 06:12:10 pm by redrocker652002 »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How much flavor does yeast bring in?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 04:23:56 pm »
No, the 1450 is my yeast. I didn't know there was a 1460. Mine is very different than 05.  Pretty clean, adds a nice silky mouthfeel. Personally I hate 05.  Always tastes like peaches to me, and doesn't have the mouthfeel of,1450.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 04:38:57 pm »
Yeast can make a remarkable difference beer to beer. One way to demonstrate this is to brew one batch, split it, and pitch two different yeasts.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 06:10:18 pm »
I am not a fan of 05 either--I too get apricot/peaches from it--but some people are less sensitive to these flavors and like this strain. In a hoppy beer like Blind Pig, IMO it will probably work perfectly fine. You may not notice the apricot under all those hops. Using 05 vs. 1450 will make a slightly different beer, but different doesn't necessarily mean worse, and it might even mean better.

More broadly, yes, yeast can add massive flavor to a beer. Some styles are all about the yeast flavors (hefeweizen, saison, etc). And in addition to or instead of imparted flavors, the choice of yeast strain can make a big difference in the body and mouthfeel of a beer. Just gotta play around with different strains and see what appeals most to your palate.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 06:15:18 pm »
No, the 1450 is my yeast. I didn't know there was a 1460. Mine is very different than 05.  Pretty clean, adds a nice silky mouthfeel. Personally I hate 05.  Always tastes like peaches to me, and doesn't have the mouthfeel of,1450.

My bad, typo.  I meant to type 1450.  I am going to wait and use it in the beer recipe it calls for.  I want to save the 05 for the second go around of the Blind Pig clone and try bottles this time and see if it tastes any different in the bottles vs the keg. 

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 08:42:52 am »
I use 05 a lot and never get peach. And nobody has ever mentioned a peach flavor. I've read lots of forum posts about 05 giving off peach if fermented below 64*, so I always ferment it at 67.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 09:49:00 am »
I've had a couple of brews on hold for several weeks, waiting on the 1450 to become available from my preferred vender.  FHSteinbart has it in stock last I checked, and MoreBeer is showing their Cali warehouse having it as of today (they didn't yesterday). 

Yeast can make a remarkable difference beer to beer. One way to demonstrate this is to brew one batch, split it, and pitch two different yeasts.

This is what I'm doing with almost every batch these days.  I have 4 fermenters of 2.5gallon, 2 of 1.3 gallon, and 6 half-gallon mason jars with airlock lids.  My most recent 2 split-batches involved fermentations of 7 different yeasts (a pale amber) and the last one was a darker maltier wort split out among 4 different yeasts.  It is a great learning experience for me to sample a flight of beers from the same wort/batch, and see how different they are thanks to the yeasts alone.

Also, a great rationalization for having 4 beers at a time.  "But honey, I'm doing it for the science!"   ;D

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 12:39:22 pm »
When the 1450 arrives you can culture up a big batch and use most of it on your blind pig and save some for the next brew. Then 2 days before, mix up a big culture, use some and save some.  I usually keep a few strains going this way.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2022, 02:22:01 pm »
When the 1450 arrives you can culture up a big batch and use most of it on your blind pig and save some for the next brew. Then 2 days before, mix up a big culture, use some and save some.  I usually keep a few strains going this way.

That sounds interesting.  Might have to look into it a bit later.  Right now, I am trying to just get my process figured out.  But thanks, that could be something I will ask a bit later when I am a bit more comfortable. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 10:26:49 am »
You can also grow up a new pitch using some of your brewed beer and stepping it up a couple of times. If there's a keg I'm really liking, I will often pour a few ounces into a mason jar, add some boiled DME and start up a new pitch. Even if you don't have the forethought to grow up some extra in advance you can still get another brew out of it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 08:49:12 am »
Can also just save the slurry at keg time, can store in fridge for a few weeks, on brew day take it out of fridge to warm up and pitch the whole thing when wort is ready.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2022, 10:06:10 am »
just tasted a beer i made with OYL006 (supposedly WLP007 equivalent), this is extremely clean, really just taste malt and hops. as people said, alot of the recommended "neutal ale yeasts" like US05 are not neutral at all.

Offline Chad Haatvedt

• 1st Kit
    • BorealBrewers
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 10:43:26 am »
Both of these strains are going to be flavor neutral.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

There are 10 kinds of home brewers.  Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2022, 07:19:59 am »
No, the 1450 is my yeast.

I brewed your wry smile IPA and loved this yeast the minute I opened the package. It's just so different than anything else I've tried. I've been using the same 1450 cake for months to brew gallon batches of cider.  It seems to finish less dry than other stuff which leaves a nice hint of sweetness behind. Great stuff.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 10:39:33 am »
On the White Labs tour, they brew the same beer with different yeasts.  (Pre-covid, not sure if they're doing tours now)  Yes yeast brings in flavor.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny