Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Digital Fermentation Tools...  (Read 1165 times)

Offline brucee

• 1st Kit
Digital Fermentation Tools...
« on: March 05, 2022, 07:06:27 am »
Does anyone have any experience using digital fermentation tracking tools? I'm considering buying either:

https://tilthydrometer.com/products/copy-of-tilt-floating-wireless-hydrometer-and-thermometer-for-brewing

or

https://plaato.io/

but know there are others out there that I might want to consider. Just looking for insight into which tools you like, pro's/cons, etc.

Thanks y'all!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Digital Fermentation Tools...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 08:03:08 am »
I like tracking fermentation progress with my Tilt. The only drawback I found is I can’t trust it for FG. It collects a blob of yeast which throws off the reading. It still tells me when fermentation is done but I get FG from a finish hydrometer.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:07:38 am by BrewBama »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
Re: Digital Fermentation Tools...
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 12:48:13 pm »
I can't bring myself to purchase a Tilt. I can't see spending that kind of money on something that isn't accurate. It's way too easy to draw off a little beer through my sample port, get an ACCURATE reading using a hydrometer, and, bonus, TASTE MY SAMPLE.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 05:04:26 pm »
I have two Tilt hydrometers and no matter how much I try to calibrate them they always read 10 points lower than my hydrometer did just before going into the fermenter. They could both be s*** or I just don't know what the hell I'm doing. The only thing they do for me is let me know when fermentation has stopped.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 03:52:52 am »
I've had a Tilt for a couple of years now. Oddly enough, mine usually reads 1 or 2 points higher than my finishing hydrometer. First though the hydrometer was off but checked it in 60 degree distilled water and it's correct. So I just allow for that error when I'm deciding when to spund the beer. I really like my Tilt!
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 08:04:59 am »
These are great.  I have a Tilt but I believe the other kinds work about the same way.  I don't NEED a Tilt, they are very expensive and overpriced, but it's still a nice toy to play around with.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 10:53:50 am »
These are great.  I have a Tilt but I believe the other kinds work about the same way.  I don't NEED a Tilt, they are very expensive and overpriced, but it's still a nice toy to play around with.

Never considered buying a Tilt.  I just make  slightly bigger batch and measure with a hydrometer.  It is somewhat old school, but it works for me.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 11:39:47 am »

Never considered buying a Tilt.  I just make  slightly bigger batch and measure with a hydrometer.  It is somewhat old school, but it works for me.

Not mention, by doing it that way you get to taste it, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 09:17:12 am »

Not mention, by doing it that way you get to taste it, too.

Yep!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 10:00:39 am »
The Tilt takes the guesswork out of when to closed transfer. Besides, I don’t really like the taste of fermenting beer. Too yeasty for me.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 02:31:46 pm »
The Tilt takes the guesswork out of when to closed transfer. Besides, I don’t really like the taste of fermenting beer. Too yeasty for me.

This!
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan