Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Digital Refractometer Recommendations  (Read 2008 times)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Digital Refractometer Recommendations
« on: March 05, 2022, 06:40:47 pm »
I'm in the market for a digital refractometer. I'm in my mid 60's and it's getting a bit harder to read the numbers depending on the light source.
But to quote Denny - Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is! So I'm a 1.060 guy!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Digital Refractometer Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 03:56:35 am »
I've had a Hanna digital refractometer (model HI 96811) for about 10 years. Works great.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 08:35:29 am »
I have a Milwaukee MA871
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 02:02:46 pm »
Do you have any comments on the Milwaukee Refractometer? I assume you like it. Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 02:34:59 pm »
Do you have any comments on the Milwaukee Refractometer? I assume you like it. Thanks

Yeah, I like it a lot and it seems to be accurate. Easy to use and clean.  If I had my wits about me I think I would have gotten one that reads in P rather than B, but it's not a big deal.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 09:40:03 am »
Thanks mainebrewer and denny for your comments!

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 03:26:16 pm »
Well I ordered the Milwaukee MA871 today as it is $44 cheaper in price than the Hanna one. The Milwaukee has good reviews and I like their pH meter.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 10:28:12 am »

Yeah, I like it a lot and it seems to be accurate. Easy to use and clean.  If I had my wits about me I think I would have gotten one that reads in P rather than B, but it's not a big deal.

Denny, I just looked at the MA871 online and didn't see one that measured in degrees Plato rather than Brix.  I know the two are almost interchangeable so it is really no big deal but was just curious if you ever found one online?  Am considering getting one since my eyes are getting older.  ;D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 10:31:12 am »

Denny, I just looked at the MA871 online and didn't see one that measured in degrees Plato rather than Brix.  I know the two are almost interchangeable so it is really no big deal but was just curious if you ever found one online?  Am considering getting one since my eyes are getting older.  ;D

Yeah, I now I saw one right after I bought mine.  I'll see if I can still find it.

ETA: turns out the one I was thinking of is a Hanna, not Milwaukee. It looks just the same but a different color.  https://www.hannainst.com/hi96841-digital-refractometer-for-beer.html

But I agree the Brix isn't a big deal.  I use an android app called Brew King to do conversions.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 10:40:19 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 10:50:33 am »

Yeah, I now I saw one right after I bought mine.  I'll see if I can still find it.

ETA: turns out the one I was thinking of is a Hanna, not Milwaukee. It looks just the same but a different color.  https://www.hannainst.com/hi96841-digital-refractometer-for-beer.html

But I agree the Brix isn't a big deal.  I use an android app called Brew King to do conversions.

I use the conversion in Beer Smith and it works well for me.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 11:40:31 am »

I use the conversion in Beer Smith and it works well for me.

I'm sure it does, but I'm not using Beersmith.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 03:51:49 pm »
I got the Milwaukee MA871 this week from Amazon. I used it to check gravity of a IPA that I thought was at FG from refractometer readings. The MA871 read 1.016 and the Brewing America Hydrometer was 1.015 for FG. SG for the IPA was 1.076. I love this brewing tool as it is so easy to use compared to an optical refractometer and you get an instant reading. I wish I purchased this a long time ago. The refractometer reading for FG was calculated using the Brewers Friend refractometer calculator.

Offline Terry Quinn

• 1st Kit
  • TQuinn
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 06:53:20 pm »
Look at this https://www.easydens.com
I have one and it works great