Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Under attenuated Dunkel ryezen  (Read 2493 times)

Offline berserkbrewing

• Cellarman
Under attenuated Dunkel ryezen
« on: March 06, 2022, 10:04:55 am »
I transfered my Dunkel last week into a secondary at 1.023. Repitched and hoped for a better finish. Not much activity happened all week and it still sits at 1.023. Started at 1.071. Tastes good a bit on the sweet side. More so than expected for apparent reasons. Keg and drink or rack it into a primary I'm about to empty?

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

1 gallon experimenter

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Under attenuated Dunkel ryezen
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 11:24:55 am »
Since this is in the extract/partial mash category, I assume you used some extract. What type and how much?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline berserkbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 11:39:36 am »
1 pound Bavarian wheat dme, 1.3 pounds Munich dme.  1.5oz carafe 2, 1.5oz caramel rye, 2oz crystal 60, and 2oz Munich 20L steeped at 153 for 30 minutes.

1 gallon experimenter

Offline berserkbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 11:40:49 am »
That's a 1.25 gallon batch.

1 gallon experimenter

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 12:23:02 pm »
That's a 1.25 gallon batch.

Allof which means you have a fair amount of unfermentables in there.  1.023 seems reasonable.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline berserkbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 12:25:56 pm »
ok. thanks for clearing that up for me.
1 gallon experimenter

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 01:29:43 pm »
Did you check gravity with a hydrometer or a refractometer?

Offline berserkbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 03:26:44 pm »
Hydrometer. That's about as fancy as I get lol

1 gallon experimenter

Offline berserkbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 07:31:40 pm »
Would you care to drop some wisdom on me as to the composition of the unfermentables? And would they be broken down by an amylase enzyme? It would be much appreciated.

1 gallon experimenter

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 08:13:34 am »
Would you care to drop some wisdom on me as to the composition of the unfermentables? And would they be broken down by an amylase enzyme? It would be much appreciated.

It's hard to say without knowing what in the extract. But often extract will have some crystal or something else added to it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 10:13:31 am »

many people and a lot of sources will list various fermentability percentages for extract. feel free to disagree with me anyone, but i find brews that are all or mostly extract, especially darker ones (which will contain crystal malt) generally will not reach the same degree of attenuation as an average (150-154F) mash of allgrain. 1.071 to 1.023 is definitely what i would expect from your recipe. if it tastes alright, then drink it

i do extract brew because it can shorten the brewday hugely, so i generally do two things:
1. low gravity beer that is mostly extract for fermentables. something like 4lbs of light DME to provide fermentables and 2 to 4 lbs of grains to add flavour, ie. crystal, roasted, munich, amber etc. the lower attenuation works out fine, because the OG is simply lower, FG ending up between 1.008 to 1.015 depending on yeast and stuff

2. if im making a very strong beer i will do an all grain mash of maybe 12-14lbs, which sort of starts to max out the potential of my cooler mashtun, then add 2 or 3lbs of DME and/or sucrose/dextrose/candisyrup. this is how i make beers with OGs higher than 1.075

Offline Chad Haatvedt

• 1st Kit
    • BorealBrewers
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2022, 10:38:33 am »
Your SG was pretty high. Not sure what yeast you used,  but it attenuated petty well given what it had to eat up.  Might be too late to fire it up again.

We'd need to know your grain bill,  yeast, and fermentation temp to give more feedback...
Maybe call it a bock and be happy with it

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

There are 10 kinds of home brewers.  Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 12:13:49 pm »

many people and a lot of sources will list various fermentability percentages for extract. feel free to disagree with me anyone, but i find brews that are all or mostly extract, especially darker ones (which will contain crystal malt) generally will not reach the same degree of attenuation as an average (150-154F) mash of allgrain. 1.071 to 1.023 is definitely what i would expect from your recipe. if it tastes alright, then drink it

i do extract brew because it can shorten the brewday hugely, so i generally do two things:
1. low gravity beer that is mostly extract for fermentables. something like 4lbs of light DME to provide fermentables and 2 to 4 lbs of grains to add flavour, ie. crystal, roasted, munich, amber etc. the lower attenuation works out fine, because the OG is simply lower, FG ending up between 1.008 to 1.015 depending on yeast and stuff

2. if im making a very strong beer i will do an all grain mash of maybe 12-14lbs, which sort of starts to max out the potential of my cooler mashtun, then add 2 or 3lbs of DME and/or sucrose/dextrose/candisyrup. this is how i make beers with OGs higher than 1.075

I agree with you.  When I use LME I replace a bit of the extract with about .25 lb. of sugar.  That usually gets the fermentability where it needs to be.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline berserkbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 03:19:58 pm »
That's some great advice there guys. Very informative. I appreciate it. I'll make some adjustments next time I brew the recipe. Again... thank you for the responses.

1 gallon experimenter

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 08:01:26 am »
I've also found extract to be a little less fermentable than an equivalent all-grain batch. And there are lots of forum threads about the extract 1.020 curse.