Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Raw Grains effect on Mash pH  (Read 848 times)

Offline edward

• Cellarman
Raw Grains effect on Mash pH
« on: March 10, 2022, 11:37:51 am »
I have not been able to find any information on this topic.  What is the effect of raw grains, when used in high percentages(30-60%), on the pH of the mash?  In a water calculator, how do you treat the raw grains?  No different than other base malt?

I’m also wondering how a cereal mash for corn and rice would affect the mash pH for the beer when added back into the overall mash.

Most of the information I’ve found concerning pH for corn cereal mashes is from what I’ve found with regard to whiskey on home distillers forums. That information is with regard to maximizing extraction for 80-100% corn grist and the pH ranges (4.2-5.0) are much lower than for a typically Beer pH mash.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: Raw Grains effect on Mash pH
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 04:46:49 pm »
Sounds like you might need to investigate yourself.  My approach would be to put the grains into bru-n-water as though they were malted.  Do whatever adjustments you want to do based on that in the spreadsheet, and then do the mash and measure pH.  See how well the spreadsheet predicts it with the method, and adjust on the fly if you are concerned.

Offline edward

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 08:46:10 am »
Yeah.  it seems that there is no information or experience out there.  I asked on Milk the Funk and got the same reaction.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 11:54:28 am »
In most brewing cases, 'raw' grains are actually treated or cooked before use.  Flaked and torrified grains are cases in point.  One grain that is more likely to be used raw in brewing is wheat. 

In all these cases, I find that employing the grain acidity curves in Bru'n Water to be relatively accurate.  Barley malts and raw forms have similar acidity, while other non-barley grains including wheat, oats, and corn have less acidity.  The supporter's version of Bru'n Water includes the non-barley curve that helps account for that lower acidity in those grains.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks