Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long for hops to drop with cold crash?  (Read 917 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
How long for hops to drop with cold crash?
« on: March 12, 2022, 10:21:49 am »
This is my first time being able to cold crash in my conical while dry hopping. Since I can’t see, just wondering in general, how long it takes for hops to drop out when cold crashing so I know when to transfer. Thanks.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How long for hops to drop with cold crash?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 10:47:44 am »
It's kinda like asking "how long is a piece of string?". There's no single answer.  First, is it whole or pellets?  Second, what temp. Third, what's the fermenter geometry?  All will have an effect to some extent.  For instance I fine that pellets in my conical will usually drop in 2-3 days at 35F.  IIRC, whole hops in a carboy or bucket took longer, but its been a long time.  Always remember, the beer makes its own schedule. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 10:50:28 am »
Good points. Typical conical fermenter that comes to a cone at the bottom. Making a 5 gallon batch and the conical holds about 7 1/2 gallons. Used pellet hops and It is at about 35°. Just don’t want to clog my racking arm and hoping to get an average so sounds like 2 to 3 days.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 10:52:02 am by trapae »
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 11:15:53 am »
Good points. Typical conical fermenter that comes to a cone at the bottom. Making a 5 gallon batch and the conical holds about 7 1/2 gallons. Used pellet hops and It is at about 35°. Just don’t want to clog my racking arm and hoping to get an average so sounds like 2 to 3 days.

Yep, that's a good guess.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell