Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Styles and Cigar Pairings  (Read 611 times)

Offline Mark

• 1st Kit
Beer Styles and Cigar Pairings
« on: March 15, 2022, 08:24:53 pm »
Hello all!

Hope this is the right section, but I looking for some ideas on beer styles that may pair well with different cigar styles.

A brewery that I am helping develop pilot beers for is looking to make some one of beers for a cigar night they are planning. Not really being a cigar smoker, I'm looking for some ideas on styles that might work well.

The first things that came to mind for me were something like smoked Doppelbock or a wee heavy, but I wonder if that would be too much smoke?

Any ideas would be wonderful!

Thank you!
Mark

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Beer Styles and Cigar Pairings
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 09:26:06 pm »
Higher gravity beer with stronger flavors. Barley Wines, Imperial Stouts, Smoked beers. Whiskey works better with cigars than beer usually. Cigars tend to overwhelm all but the strongest flavors. I love a cigar from time to time. But usually I pair it with bourbon.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 10:29:52 am »
Higher gravity beer with stronger flavors. Barley Wines, Imperial Stouts, Smoked beers. Whiskey works better with cigars than beer usually. Cigars tend to overwhelm all but the strongest flavors. I love a cigar from time to time. But usually I pair it with bourbon.
Bourbon, rum, and anejo tequila are all good choices to pair with a cigar. The first two have sweetness and the latter spiciness that complement a cigar nicely. I agree, cigars tend to overwhem beer fast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Mark

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 12:54:35 pm »
I appreciate the responses and I understand that beer might not be the ideal pairing, but that is out of my control at the moment. This brewery does not have the licenses to serve hard liquor.

Sounds like big, bold, styles will be key. I think I will stick to something like a smoked Doppel and maybe a Wee Heavy. The brewery has a few stouts on tap, as well as a barrel aged one, so that should work too.

Mark

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 03:41:21 pm »
PBR and Phillies Blunt.