Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What kind of beer do you make and what is your goal?  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What kind of beer do you make and what is your goal?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2022, 05:50:50 pm »
My thoughts on IPAs are this…

I can buy a ton of great ones any time I want so I don’t brew them very often.  But I do like to brew them.  It’s just that, like previously stated, they are best had fresh.  So I usually only brew them in anticipation of company so that I have some help in that beautiful, hoppy window.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2022, 06:22:06 pm »
My thoughts on IPAs are this…

I can buy a ton of great ones any time I want so I don’t brew them very often.  But I do like to brew them.  It’s just that, like previously stated, they are best had fresh.  So I usually only brew them in anticipation of company so that I have some help in that beautiful, hoppy window.
Agreed.  My wife liked them so I would brew them and tell her that they're best fresh.  I see her drinking wine, not drinking at all, it's dry January, I gave up beer for lent and before you know it the fresh-hop beer on tap #4 is no longer fresh.  Then she finally has one and says, "This doesn't taste the way they normally do".  I know.  It's not fresh anymore.  I also agree you can get so many good IPAs at stores or bars & restaurants so that's when I usually get them.  Unless of course there's a good German or Czech beer on tap!  ;)
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2022, 08:20:03 pm »
When you brew, what styles do you like to make and drink?
[/size]I have a 3-tap keezer, and try to (generally) have a balance with a light, amber, and dark beer. I tend to tilt towards German styles that I can't readily get fresh (e.g., pilsner; altbier; kolsch; etc.). That said, I also do a fair number of American amber ales (hard to find commercially these days), APAs, and IPAs. I also brew a decent number of session beers in the previously mentioned categories as well as others.

[/size]Are you brewing mainly for yourself, you and your significant other?  Kids of drinking age in the house?  Friends, family, neighbors, etc?
[/size]Primarily for me, and my spouse...with a percentage given away as growlers to friends. I'll often do "hostage exchanges" with friends who are also homebrewers (return their growler filled with my beer; get my growler back filled with their beer).
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2022, 09:25:08 pm »
When you brew, what styles do you like to make and drink?
[/size]I have a 3-tap keezer, and try to (generally) have a balance with a light, amber, and dark beer. I tend to tilt towards German styles that I can't readily get fresh (e.g., pilsner; altbier; kolsch; etc.). That said, I also do a fair number of American amber ales (hard to find commercially these days), APAs, and IPAs. I also brew a decent number of session beers in the previously mentioned categories as well as others.

[/size]Are you brewing mainly for yourself, you and your significant other?  Kids of drinking age in the house?  Friends, family, neighbors, etc?
[/size]Primarily for me, and my spouse...with a percentage given away as growlers to friends. I'll often do "hostage exchanges" with friends who are also homebrewers (return their growler filled with my beer; get my growler back filled with their beer).
I hear you with regard to the "balance".  I'll have something light (pilsner, helles, American Lager, Blonde Ale, etc), something hoppier, something darker and then something where anything goes.  Right now it's pilsner, pub ale, pale ale, Vienna Lager.  Each one will be replaced by something that sort of follows... helles, english bitter, another pale ale, dark ale, etc.  Always a balance which requires you to look at what you have in "storage" and what you should make next so you don't have 4 taps with the same style... unless you're into that sort of thing.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2022, 09:29:42 pm »
I like lagers and beers that I can drink a second or third or fourth pint (or liter) of. I also like Bocks and Doppelbocks. Sometimes a barley wine.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2022, 06:06:08 am »
Much like Brewbama brewing is just one of many DIY pursuits, we essentially have a homestead here with vegetable gardens big enough to store and put up food forwinter, a small orchard, bees, and we do lots of foraging for mushrooms, berries etc..I am always cooking and used to be a chef. Unlike Brewbama I am not retired so don’t brew nearly as often as I like.
I brew mainly for my wife and I but look forward to entertaining much more this year.
We both brew mead. My favorite styles of beers to brew are English ales because they are a favorite style and hard to find. Other than that I tend to be seasonally oriented in culinary pursuits. I like to brew stouts and porters and one or two imperial stouts and quads for winter and German lagers for warmer months. I brew IPAs year round, including a Julius homage (not a clone). Last summer I successfully brewed some ipa’s that were under 100 calories and around 4 carbs per 12 ounces. They were surprisingly satisfying and I a want to do more this summer. Apart from one or two winter sippers many of my beers are less than 5% abv and rarely more than 6%.
I occasionally do random other styles: Hefeweizen, various Belgians including saison, black lagers, rauchbier.
I have access to a lot of apples and pears in the fall and press cider and usually make 30+ gallons of cider, perry, and cyser.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 06:24:30 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2022, 06:07:25 am »
My wife doesn't drink beer, but she has tasted every single batch that I've made over the last 32 years.
I used to share my beer at club meetings and send entries off to statewide competitions, but lately I brew just for myself, brewing ten gallons once a month or so.
I like to have a pale lager on tap, whether it's a Dort, a Boh Pils, a German Pils or a CAP, I switch it up.  Looking at my brew log it seems I almost always have a Rye Pale Ale or Rye IPA on tap as well.  Other styles I brew less frequently are Baltic Porter, Belgian Witbier (to which I add Poblano peppers), smoked beer and occasionally a Strong Belgian or Imperial Stout.
No hazies or pastries for me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2022, 06:27:02 am »
Since I am 67 years old, my beer consumption has gone down a lot. I brew only 1 or 2 styles of beer. Kolsch and Bitters. Bitters during the winter months and Kolsch from spring until the fall. It is not easy to buy bitters where I live for some reason and Kolsch beers are even more rare and they suck anyway. But if you want an IPA, no problem because they are everywhere.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2022, 07:24:33 am »
What styles do you like to make and drink ?
No idea on styles brewed, assign batches a number

Brewing mainly for yourself, significant other , kids of drinking age ?
Mainly myself, spouse will test taste new batches, occasionally grown daughter & husband

Do you try to clone beers ?
No

Do you try to make a beer that you can't get locally ?
No, haven't bought beer for about 2 years

Do you brew the same recipes over and over or wing it each time?
Wing it
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 07:28:20 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2022, 07:31:45 am »
The only beer I brew is my own recipe, an oatmeal porter with substantial portions of brown malt and oatmeal in the grist.   Why? Because that's the only beer I want to drink 5  gallons of.  I know, my tastes are too narrow. Occasionally I'll add some vanilla to a few bottles.  I  brew it to a strength of ~ 5% ABV.  I occasionally drink other styles when dining out at places that offer craft beers.  Unfortunately, most restaurants here only have the most basic InBev lineup and I will occasionally have a Guinness.

My lady friend doesn't drink beer and I'm living in a new  community without a lot of friends yet.  I have joined a brew club and enjoy trying other styles there, but always come back to my favorite.  I'm 75 and have weight and medication issues so I typically drink no more than three or four bottles or drafts in a week.

I bottle most of it so I can take a few bottles along when I visit out-of-town friends or send some home with relatives.  I have donated a keg for brew club charity events.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2022, 07:37:53 am »
I tend to brew based on the weather seasons. For winter I usually brew stronger beers like IPA, Belgian Quad and darker beers like Brown Ale and Porter. I try to have a easy drinker on tap all the time like lagers, cream ale, blonde and pale ales. In the spring I'll brew a Wheat beer and maybe a Maibock. In summer I'll brew a sour beer using Lallemand Philly sour for the second time. I also like Belgian Golden, Triples and IPA for summer. IPA is usually a 2.5 gallon keg so it will remain fresh.
Spring through fall I love to smoke ribs, brisket and pork shoulder. I also grill a lot of chicken, hamburgers and salmon. We have friends and family come over to enjoy the food and beer. I love to see family and friends enjoy homebrew with nice meal. I get excited when they enjoy the food and grab another pint! That is one reason I love homebrewing.
My wife doesn't drink beer so I make mead and cider for her. She helps to bottle mead, cider and some beer but most of the beer is kegged in a chest freezer. She tastes every beer and usually says that's good for beer.  She actually liked a Belgian Quad yesterday that she tasted! I think she well drink it!! That's a big deal as we have been married for 6 years and she likes a homebrew!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 07:47:20 am by purduekenn »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2022, 10:46:19 am »
What styles do you like to make and drink ?

I used to brew a lot of IPA, but now that it dominates the craft beer market I only brew a few batches a year. I always have a lager and/or an English Mild or Bitter on tap, and I play around with other styles all the time. Most of my beer is around 4-5% ABV.

Brewing mainly for yourself, significant other , kids of drinking age ?

It's pretty much just me. My son is too young and my wife can't really drink much for health reasons. I share with friends when they're over, but that is a lot less often the past couple of years.

Do you try to clone beers ?

No, but I certainly use them as inspiration or a base to develop my own beers

Do you try to make a beer that you can't get locally ?

Not exact clones, but styles or beers in the ballpark of other styles that I can't find easily

I have a few that I brew closely to each time (Ron Pattinson's 1957 Whitbread IPA, my own Märzen), but even those I adjust based on the ingredients I have on hand, or my mood.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2022, 03:48:31 pm »
My Big Four are: (1) pilsners (CAP, Czech or German); (2) tripels; (3) English bitters; and (4) American IPAs. Keezer hold 7 kegs, I always like to have those four styles available.

I do mix in other beers occasionally, like porters, amber lagers, dubbels, saisons, weissbiers, etc. but I found when I moved up to 10 gallon batches, I don't want 10 gallons of those as much as the others. Now I know I could still brew 5 gallons, but it takes pretty much the same amount of time.

I do have an itch to brew 5 gallons of an old ale/barley wine/wee heavy, though.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2022, 06:24:50 pm »
When you brew, what styles do you like to make and drink? Are you brewing mainly for yourself, you and your significant other?

My efforts are roughly divided along four lines of effort:

1. Finding the perfect session beer: low-cal, low-ABV but still flavorful.  These tend to revolve around milds, brown ales, pseudo-schwarzbiers, and Belgiany table beers.

2. Figuring out how to make big, aged, woody stouts and brown ales (think Monday Night's Ante Meridiem).

3. Pursuing the idea of a lambic-inspired, "hyper-local" beer.  Ultimately, I'd like to do something like Ben Richards' Growing Beer: my own grain, my own hops, local wild yeast, aged on local fruit, etc, etc.  This is a piecemeal, incremental effort since I'm still renting and not really in a place to plant hops or grain or anything like that.  But I can buy local fruit at the farmers' market.

4. Other stuff:  meads, bochets, ciders.

1 and 3 are for me.  2 is for my wife. 4 was for my wife at first, but both of us now (and my in-laws are mostly grain/gluten-free now).

Do you try to clone beers?

Not as such, but I definitely draw inspiration from commercial brews (e.g., Yellowhammer's Midnight Special, the aforementioned Ante Meridiem, and Oude Quetsche Tilquin à la Ancienne for 1, 2, and 3 respectively — for 4, most commerical meads and ciders are too sweet for us; so they serve more as counter-examples than targets).

Do you try to make a beer that you can't get locally?

Not particularly . . . but if I can perfect 2 and 3, that might be an example of homebrewing actually saving money since those tend to run $10-$20 for a 375 or 500 ml bottle.

I tend to make at least some small adjustment every time.  This is why I've gradually stepped my batch sizes down from 5+ gallons to 5-8L.  I don't have the attention span to work through 5 gallons of anything.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2022, 07:08:29 pm »
Not particularly . . . but if I can perfect 2 and 3, that might be an example of homebrewing actually saving money since those tend to run $10-$20 for a 375 or 500 ml bottle.

Homebrewing absolutely saves money unless someone is really doing a "cost is NO concern at all" approach, and even then i think they would.

one approach to consider is knowing what stuff is affordable at the store and just brewing things you love but cost a lot. - strong belgians, wood aged, imp stouts, etc

i made a good, flavourful imperial stout for $1.09 per 11.5oz bottle. its equivalent - a basic, non-big name craft imp stout would be absolute minimum $4 and up, likely more.

homebrew ingredients prices are stable. commercial beer prices have only gone up and up and up here. i used to not bother making german pilsners when i had tons of selection in the $2 per 500ml range, now theyre reaching high 2s, up to $3 in some cases per tallboy can.