Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Elysian Space Dust Clone  (Read 2349 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Elysian Space Dust Clone
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2022, 04:32:55 pm »
That recipe also calls for whole cone hops or leaf hops, which require significant process changes relative to pellet hops. If you are trying to dial in your process, stick with the hops you plan to use most of the time. I recommend pellets because there are a lot more kinds available. I am sure you can find another Space Dust recipe that uses pellet hops.

You are correct, I am using pellets.  I will be growing hops, or at least trying with the help of my wife, so whole cone may be in my future.  Thank you for the input, I will see what I can find.  I bought all the ingredients halved in the recipe I posted, but I am sure I can find one that is similar.

Remember, growing hops is easy.  Picking, drying, and packaging can be a real PITA.

I'll say that definitely depends on your climate.  I've had wet summers where I followed the University of Maryland extension suggestions and still lost everything to powdery mildew and root rot.  Other years things worked out in spite of my poor maintenance thanks to good luck and good weather.  After dealing with disease and bugs, the part when you cut them down when they feel right and throw them in a food dehydrator and a vacuum sealer doesn't seem hard at all.

Point taken. I live in prime PNW hop country and they grow like weeds. I've gotten as much as 23 lb. from a single Cascade plant in a year.  Ive been trying to kill it off for 8 years or so and the sucker just wont die!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2022, 10:01:29 pm »
Just got to work and am going thru all the messages.  Thanks to all who replied and put input into this.  I am going with Denny and leaving the malt out that I don't need.  I want to make this as simple as I can, as this is going to be my last batch with anything more than one or two hops.  I need to get a handle on my methods first, then I can hit the harder stuff.  Gotta crawl before I walk.  LOL.   

Thanks again to all who had input, all this is great info and I am taking it all in. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 09:01:36 am »
That recipe also calls for whole cone hops or leaf hops, which require significant process changes relative to pellet hops. If you are trying to dial in your process, stick with the hops you plan to use most of the time. I recommend pellets because there are a lot more kinds available. I am sure you can find another Space Dust recipe that uses pellet hops.

You are correct, I am using pellets.  I will be growing hops, or at least trying with the help of my wife, so whole cone may be in my future.  Thank you for the input, I will see what I can find.  I bought all the ingredients halved in the recipe I posted, but I am sure I can find one that is similar.

Remember, growing hops is easy.  Picking, drying, and packaging can be a real PITA.

I'll say that definitely depends on your climate.  I've had wet summers where I followed the University of Maryland extension suggestions and still lost everything to powdery mildew and root rot.  Other years things worked out in spite of my poor maintenance thanks to good luck and good weather.  After dealing with disease and bugs, the part when you cut them down when they feel right and throw them in a food dehydrator and a vacuum sealer doesn't seem hard at all.

Point taken. I live in prime PNW hop country and they grow like weeds. I've gotten as much as 23 lb. from a single Cascade plant in a year.  Ive been trying to kill it off for 8 years or so and the sucker just wont die!

I have to believe that the San Francisco Bay area won't be prime growing weather, but what the heck.  I am going to give it a try and see.  I am in it to win it now.  LOL.  Thanks to all for the input. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2022, 10:15:40 am »

I have to believe that the San Francisco Bay area won't be prime growing weather, but what the heck.  I am going to give it a try and see.  I am in it to win it now.  LOL.  Thanks to all for the input.
Hops were grown in rhe Bay Area before the 1960s or so. Now those farms are housing. PNW is the best place to grow hops, but not the only place where they grow.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2022, 11:31:38 am »

Sounds nice, although I'm not in it for the yield (or at least that's what I tell myself).  But drying 23 pounds of hops per plant would be a far bigger challenge!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2022, 04:23:48 pm »

Sounds nice, although I'm not in it for the yield (or at least that's what I tell myself).  But drying 23 pounds of hops per plant would be a far bigger challenge!

Yeah, I wasn't in it for the yield, either.  It just happened. I didn't fertilize them and they got watered intermittently.  Dealing with  that crop was what convinced me I didn't want to do it any longer

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2022, 10:21:47 am »
Terroir plays a huge part in hop flavor.  My buddy and I both planted Cascade. My hops are simply boring, they're vegetal and flavor just doesn't pop. His has an unusual onion flavor.  We live 3 miles apart.  It's just not worth the effort, and although neglected, they just won't die.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2022, 10:27:44 am »
Terroir plays a huge part in hop flavor.  My buddy and I both planted Cascade. My hops are simply boring, they're vegetal and flavor just doesn't pop. His has an unusual onion flavor.  We live 3 miles apart.  It's just not worth the effort, and although neglected, they just won't die.

Onion usually indicates they were harvested too late.  When Cascade was planted in New Zealand, it was so different that they actually gave it another name.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2022, 04:43:54 pm »

I fondly remember drinking craft beer (Mendicino Brewery Co.) in the very late 90's in Hopland, California. ~80 miles N of San Fran.  They had a nice beergarten with hop plants trellised up and around the tables.  I think there were still a few research hop yards there then.

Hops were grown in rhe Bay Area before the 1960s or so. Now those farms are housing. PNW is the best place to grow hops, but not the only place where they grow.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2022, 04:46:35 pm »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I fondly remember drinking craft beer (Mendicino Brewery Co.) in the very late 90's in Hopland, California. ~80 miles N of San Fran.  They had a nice beergarten with hop plants trellised up and around the tables.  I think there were still a few research hop yards there then.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2022, 04:55:19 am »
I know you guys are probably so tired of my stupid comments, but I just did something kinda cool.  I put my recipe into brewfather as I had it.  My OG and FG were really high, my IBU was a bit low and my ABV was a bit high.  So, I started fooling around with the program just to see what I could figure out.  I was able to manually input my OG number to within the range of a Double IPA, which is what Space Dust is.  It changed my grain numbers to adjust to the new OG and dropped the FG.  Both are now within the scales for a DIPA according to Brewfather.  My ABV matches what Elysian says Space Dust should be. So, I am pretty pumped that maybe I have a chance on this one   LOL.  I also added .2 of an ounce of Chinook to the 60 minute time and that jumped  my IBU a bit as well.  Either way, I know it is stupid, but I thought it was pretty cool and I learned a little something.  Guess that is what happens when you have too much free time at work on the graveyard shift  LOL. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 08:55:05 am by redrocker652002 »

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2022, 06:31:19 am »
I know you guys are probably so tired of my stupid comments, but ...

I am not tired of your comments - I enjoy your enthusiasm, and celebrate your journey of discovery.  Lots of us are in your shoes too.  I generally learn quite a bit from others' responses to your threads.  Thank you!

Also, congrats on your newest success, tweaking your recipe.  That's a great feeling, isn't it?  I hope your beer comes out awesome.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 06:34:00 am by ScallyWag »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2022, 09:39:50 am »
Holy crap, I am glad I looked again.  I really messed up.  One of my ingredients should have been crystal 15l. When I input it into brewfather I used caramel 89.1.  LOL   No wonder I was so over the top on the color.  I adjusted it down to a crystal at 20l and it made a huge difference.  Now, I am within the specs on all aspects with exception of FG, and that I am only a point or two off.  So, now, I am going to look at it a bunch more times to make sure I am good.  LOL.  More stupidity by me, it's ok to laugh. LOL.

narvin

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2022, 09:44:10 am »
Terroir is a huge part of hop growing, for sure.  But that's one reason I like doing it. I'm not trying to save money or to duplicate the best hops I can get commercially, because I'll fail at that.  But I get very pleasant results growing continental style hops on the east coast, and it's wonderful to have some fresh hops every fall to use or just sniff  :D