General Category > Equipment and Software

Morebeer mash kettle and mash thickness

(1/2) > >>

michael.harrison:
I have a Morebeer mash kettle and I was suprised by how much space is under the screen.  Does all this space affect my calculations for mash thickness?  I mean, do I need to add this volume to the mash water to achieve a thin enough mash?

Thanks

tschmidlin:
I ignore the volume under the false bottom when calculating mash thickness, then just add it to make up for it.  For example, if there's a gallon under the false bottom and you're mashing 20 lbs of grain at 1.2 qts/lb, that's 24 qts of water, or 6 gallons, plus 1 gallon from under the false bottom and so I use 7 gallons of water in the mash tun.

Not sure if it's the right thing to do exactly, but it works for me.

euge:
That works for getting your volume out but still dilutes the wort though an additional couple pounds of grain counters that problem.

tschmidlin:
Yeah, but adding a couple of pounds will thicken your mash.  If you're aiming for a certain thickness then you should ignore the volume under the false bottom IMO.  You just end up using less sparge water.  Again, I'm not saying it's right, just the way I do it.  :)

tschmidlin:
Oh, I think I figured out what you mean euge.  The volume under the false bottom is not the same as the dead space when I drain my keggle, so yeah, accounting for losses to the boil due to dead space in the tun is a different calculation.  But for thickness, I subtract out what's under the false bottom.  Hope that makes sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version