Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing 153 - Drew Tortures Denny With Beer!  (Read 1391 times)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Re: Experimental Brewing 153 - Drew Tortures Denny With Beer!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2022, 06:12:27 am »
Great Fermentations https://www.greatfermentations.com has Sugar Creek Bloody Butcher Malt and Amanda White Corn malt. Both are very good.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 08:15:23 am »
Enjoyed the podcast!  Especially information on Crisp Chevallier malt and Bloody Butcher Corn malt. I recently brewed a Amber Ale with Chevallier and the malt flavor was awesome. An IPA with Chevallier will be a future brew. Keep up the good work on the podcasts!
Is there an online source for Bloody Butcher malt? I've been wanting to try this out since I use a fair amount of corn in my brewing, but I haven't found it through through the usual channels, or by using my google-fu.

Bloody Butcher has a unique and delicious flavor, but don't expect it to taste like the corn you're used to using. Drew used it in the cream ale I tasted and you would never know it was supposed to be a cream ale. It's a great malt alternative, but to me it kinda demands to be used in new recipes, not subbed for corn in an existing recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2022, 08:16:52 am »
Enjoyed the podcast!  Especially information on Crisp Chevallier malt and Bloody Butcher Corn malt. I recently brewed a Amber Ale with Chevallier and the malt flavor was awesome. An IPA with Chevallier will be a future brew. Keep up the good work on the podcasts!
Is there an online source for Bloody Butcher malt? I've been wanting to try this out since I use a fair amount of corn in my brewing, but I haven't found it through through the usual channels, or by using my google-fu.

Bloody Butcher has a unique and delicious flavor, but don't expect it to taste like the corn you're used to using. Drew used it in the cream ale I tasted and you would never know it was supposed to be a cream ale. It's a great malt alternative, but to me it kinda demands to be used in new recipes, not subbed for corn in an existing recipe.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2022, 11:57:46 am »
I bought it directly from sugar creek, but I think the minimum order was 10 lbs.  I brewed an American Pils with it and have a hard time identifying what it's contributing in it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2022, 12:03:30 pm »
I bought it directly from sugar creek, but I think the minimum order was 10 lbs.  I brewed an American Pils with it and have a hard time identifying what it's contributing in it.

Interesting.  I could tell right away that it didn't taste like corn to me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2022, 06:44:25 am »
Last year I brewed a Cream Ale with 17% Sugar Creek Bloody Butcher Malt and 73% Sugar Creek Pale Malt. I thought it had a bit of sweet corn flavor. Maybe my perception was influenced because it had malted corn in it? I may have perceived it differently if it was a blind tasting. I liked the beer a lot so I brewed another that is fermenting now with 25% Bloody Butcher corn.

I found a little more information on malted corn from Riverbend Malt House:

Riverbend Malt House (White Corn)
FLAVORS Fresh Cornbread, Earthy
GOOD FOR  American Lager
https://riverbendmalt.com/malt/malted-corn

River Bend Malt House (Bloody Butcher Corn)
FLAVORS Baking spices, clove
GOOD FOR  American Lager, Bourbon
https://riverbendmalt.com/malt/bloody-butcher-corn
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 06:46:49 am by purduekenn »