Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New (to me) Cryo Hops  (Read 2376 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
New (to me) Cryo Hops
« on: March 24, 2022, 07:03:49 pm »
Just got these babys in today (along with a bunch of more typical IPA hops).  Most of my beers lately fall on a spectrum between a Pre-pro and a Vienna lager with some small Bitters mixed in. I'm really looking forward to see what a half ounce or so of these at flameout can bring to my beers. It's good to see some less glamorous hops getting the Cryo love.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: New (to me) Cryo Hops
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 07:32:40 pm »
I used to use cluster all the time in my non-German pale lagers, and I loved it. It's an incredible hop, IMO. I strayed from using it for a couple years, in the interest of experimentation. But I recently tapped a Mexican lager and American lager that I made with cluster, and my love for it has been rekindled.

I had no idea there was a cryo version of it. I'll have to give it try. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 05:12:34 am »
I have been seeing a lot of “cryo” hops lately.  But I don’t understand what that means.  What are Cryo-Hops?
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
New (to me) Cryo Hops
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 05:47:40 am »
They are hops that have had the lupulin glands removed by a freezing process.  The glands are brittle when frozen and can be separated from the hop flowers easier. The lupulin glands are then isolated and compressed into T-90 pellets. The result is less green matter with more lupulin.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 06:22:01 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 06:47:22 am »
I found this picture online. It goes well with Brewbama’s answer above.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 06:55:42 am »
They are hops that have had the lupulin glands removed by a freezing process.  The glands are brittle when frozen and can be separated from the hop flowers easier. The lupulin glands are then isolated and compressed into T-90 pellets. The result is less green matter with more lupulin.

Fascinating information.  Thank you both!  So, is it safe to assume one would use less hops to achieve the same result?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 06:58:13 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 07:49:05 am »

Fascinating information.  Thank you both!  So, is it safe to assume one would use less hops to achieve the same result?
Yes, it's safe to assume. I haven't used them since last fall but I think I recall using about 40% cryo compared to regular. Making cryo from whole hops is very similar to making hash from marijuana where dry ice is used to make the tricomb brittle and fall off. (um, at least that's what I hear...)
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 08:23:35 am »

IIRC the number is the percentage of vegetal matter in the pellets. The lower the number, the more the relative amount of lupulin glands. Thus, cryo hops should be T-45ish, whereas typically processed pellets, where the vegetal matter has not been reduced, are T-90. I have no idea what the T stands for.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 08:58:36 am »
I have been using cryo for years, since the development of them started, before they were commercially available. I have found that I like to use more of them than T90 because the flavor and aroma is so clean.   
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 08:59:34 am »

T90 form factor maybe, but technically not T90 since they have much more than 10% of the bract removed.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 10:38:51 am »
True. I was using T 90 as a descriptor of pellet size when really it’s a composition standard.

Offline Jee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 07:00:36 am »
I brewed with cryo citra and amarillo yesterday for the first time and the smell of the only 1oz at flameout was so powerfull and fresh.  I can't wait to tast it.

Let us know what it can make on the "noble" side, it's realy interesting to.

narvin

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2022, 08:52:59 am »
I have been using cryo for years, since the development of them started, before they were commercially available. I have found that I like to use more of them than T90 because the flavor and aroma is so clean.

Do you use all cryo or do you mix them with T90?  Do you think cryo are better suited to late additions and dry hopping?

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2022, 09:23:26 am »

Do you use all cryo or do you mix them with T90?  Do you think cryo are better suited to late additions and dry hopping?

Early on, I used them all the way through.  Decided it's really a waste for bittering.  Now I use them only 10 min. or later or for dry hopping.  That way the AA doesn't come into play. I've never really understood the recommendation to use half as much.  That's based on AA and as we know doesnt really matter for things like dry hopping.  I generally use 2-3 oz. for dry hopping. I've experimented with adding some American nobles, too, when I use larger amounts, so that I get some of the bract in there to make them seem more "normal" flavorwise while still getting that huge aroma.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2022, 07:40:57 am »
You guys are convincing me to give cryo hops another chance.  I used some a few years ago and didn't like them compared to regular T-90 pellets for dry hopping.  I talked with some of my pro brewer friends and they mentioned that the process and quality has improved greatly over the past several years.

So what the hell!  If I can get more aroma and/or flavor from them, I'm game.  Old dog, new tricks!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified