Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: US Grain Prices  (Read 1272 times)

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
US Grain Prices
« on: April 09, 2022, 07:24:29 am »
I have noticed some US homebrew shops are selling their 55 lb. of malt for way more than what we pay here in Canada. I just paid $80 Canadian for a sack of Weyermann Pilsner malt. That is around $64.00 US. What gives? I just googled US homebrew supply stores so this may not be what most Americans are paying. What are you all paying for a sack of grain?

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: US Grain Prices
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 07:47:27 am »
$65 USD is probably on the low side. At my LHBS there are three base malts I buy by the sack. Briess Brewers Malt basic 2 row is the least expensive at $60/50lbs... Avangard Pilsen is $70/55lbs... and Muntons Maris Otter is $76/55lbs. Simpson's Golden Promise btw is $90/55lbs which is why I don't use it anymore.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 06:14:54 pm »
It is easy to find 55 lb bags of grain online for $49 to $70.
But when you factor in shipping...the price becomes outrageous.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 08:19:12 pm »
I have noticed some US homebrew shops are selling their 55 lb. of malt for way more than what we pay here in Canada. I just paid $80 Canadian for a sack of Weyermann Pilsner malt. That is around $64.00 US. What gives? I just googled US homebrew supply stores so this may not be what most Americans are paying. What are you all paying for a sack of grain?

hey 4dog, i recall talking canada homebrew stuff with you here before i believe. yeah, i expected a price hike a month or so ago, so did a sort of final order for the season. OBK's prices seem to have stayed the same, but my LHBS increased prices on everything they have by about 25%. this sounds bad, but imho stock up now because i feel like come fall 2022 they'll be even higher.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 11:37:03 am »
It is easy to find 55 lb bags of grain online for $49 to $70.
But when you factor in shipping...the price becomes outrageous.

Definitely, where I live even with freight bulk used to be about half the price of by the pound, not it's less expensive to buy by the pound. Friggin' ridiculous!
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 10:26:21 pm »
Those days when wholesalers would sell to group buys helped drive down grain prices even if you didn't participate in one yourself. Prices have been climbing ever since although inflation isn't helping.

I pay around $85 for a 55 lb. bag these days but I'm buying sacks of a local maltster so I expect to pay a little more than the big guys. IMO the quality is worth the extra thirty cents per pound. I'm getting a lot more flavor out of the local maltsters and using a lot less specialty malt to try to round out blander base malts.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 05:17:52 am »
There are a couple suppliers around that still offer free shipping. These are the people I buy from. Makes the purchase much less painful.

narvin

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 05:46:56 am »
Canadian prices always seemed arbitrarily pegged to US dollars despite currency fluctuations and other variables. It's almost as if companies can't bother to treat it as a separate market because it's not worth it.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 07:13:46 am »
prices at my online HBS have jumped across the board, and have been going up on various items day by day. maris otter just went from $2.09/lb to $2.99/lb. put in an order last night before they rise even more. sad.