Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sauergut  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Jayborracho

• Cellarman
Re: Sauergut
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 03:02:11 pm »
Now when adding the sauergut to the mash would you add it to the strike water or wait til after the grain is mixed in? Either or?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2022, 12:13:09 pm »
Now when adding the sauergut to the mash would you add it to the strike water or wait til after the grain is mixed in? Either or?

To best distribute that addition, its best add to the strike water and mix thoroughly.  After the grain is combined with the water, its more difficult to attain and assure that everything is well mixed. This advice applies to your salt additions too!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2022, 01:15:28 pm »

To best distribute that addition, its best add to the strike water and mix thoroughly.  After the grain is combined with the water, its more difficult to attain and assure that everything is well mixed. This advice applies to your salt additions too!
Also Brewtan-B and N-Meta if you're into that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2022, 04:07:26 pm »
Am I correct in thinking the purpose of sauergut is to remove O2?  Or is it intended as a pH adjustment?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2022, 07:42:09 pm »
Am I correct in thinking the purpose of sauergut is to remove O2?  Or is it intended as a pH adjustment?

I think mainly to adjust PH, with the added benefit of flavor from biological activity on wort medium vs concentrated acids. I’ve heard it can be an oxygen scavenger in the mash if one were to dough in low enough for activity but I don’t think that is sauergut’s best contribution.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Sauergut
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2022, 07:46:40 pm »
I understood it to be an acid for pH adjustment only. It’s a way to skirt the German brewing rules and add a flavor that is considered key to German beer.

OTOH, Brewtan B and Metabisulfates are verboten but are used anyway.

It seems some rules are OK to break while others are not.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 07:49:08 pm by BrewBama »

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2022, 07:59:02 pm »
I understood it to be an acid for pH adjustment only. It’s a way to skirt the German brewing rules and add a flavor that is considered key to German beer.

Brewbama brings up a good point. Sauergut is a method to adjust mash and wort PH that complied with the German purity law…..fundamentally.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2022, 08:25:41 pm »

Breweries that do LODO have the ability to strip the brewery water of O2 by forcing CO2 or N2 up through columns of water. The DO water is stored in large tanks under N2 or CO2. I've seen this at Brauerei Schönram in Germany and at Sierra Nevada Mills River. N-Meta is a US homebrewer workaround as far as I know.

Brewtan-B may or may not be RHG compiant. If it is not in the finished beer it is ok. For example the commercial equivalent to polyklar is ok, as it is not in the finished beer, so processing aids are allowed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 08:27:20 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2022, 08:39:07 pm »
It is a pH adjustment. It is the result of a lacto fermentation,  which are generally anerobic, so they arent utilizing O2.  O2 in one of those fermentstions can allow other organisms to take off and give undesired  odors and flavors.

Sauergut gets around the RHG prohibition of using industrial derived acids to adjust the mash. The classic way would be to do a long acid rest to drop the pH.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 08:03:34 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

narvin

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2022, 06:44:10 am »
As mentioned, it is a pH adjustment, but it also has a flavor contribution.  I'm a firm believer that lactic acid as pH adjustment also adds something flavor-wise to a pilsner.  In this case, it's going to have a more complex contribution, just as a kettle sour tastes different than pure lactic acid added to beer.

That being said, I personally dislike the strong grape flavor that you sometimes get in a light German beer.  I haven't gone the sauergut route yet but may try it in small quantities to see if I like it.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2022, 07:55:20 am »
This is a WAG, but perhaps the addition of Sauermalz may achieve a similar flavor result to the sauergut, without the need for cultivating a sauergut reactor.  I adjust pH with both Sauermalz and salts; once in a great while, I will instead adjust with liquid lactic or phosphoric acid.  Might be time for a side by side...if someone is using sauergut.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2022, 08:06:12 am »
As mentioned, it is a pH adjustment, but it also has a flavor contribution.  I'm a firm believer that lactic acid as pH adjustment also adds something flavor-wise to a pilsner.  In this case, it's going to have a more complex contribution, just as a kettle sour tastes different than pure lactic acid added to beer.

That being said, I personally dislike the strong grape flavor that you sometimes get in a light German beer.  I haven't gone the sauergut route yet but may try it in small quantities to see if I like it.

Sauergut is said to add a white wine flavor. I've gotten a Welches Grape juice flavor in some of my beers and ones club members have brewed, which may be from the yeast or old grain - anyone know more about tha
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2022, 11:31:50 am »

Sauergut is said to add a white wine flavor. I've gotten a Welches Grape juice flavor in some of my beers and ones club members have brewed, which may be from the yeast or old grain - anyone know more about tha
There was a discussion here years back - it is believed to be ethyl heptanoate, which is an ester that some yeast strains (ale strains in particular) can produce. The precursor is heptanal, which comes from malt.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2022, 11:37:08 am »

There was a discussion here years back - it is believed to be ethyl heptanoate, which is an ester that some yeast strains (ale strains in particular) can produce. The precursor is heptanal, which comes from malt.
I remember the conversation, but the malt having heptanal is what i didn’t  remember. Thanks.

I usually get that grape juice flavor in lagers, matbe because there are fewer competing esters to hide it. Ive tasted it in some lagers inngermany.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2022, 11:55:01 am »

I remember the conversation, but the malt having heptanal is what i didn’t  remember. Thanks.

I usually get that grape juice flavor in lagers, matbe because there are fewer competing esters to hide it. Ive tasted it in some lagers inngermany.
This is where I could see, hypothetically, where saurgut could play a factor. Some bacteria can produce methyl anthranilate (which is one of the primary flavorings in Grape Kool Aid). If any of these are present in sauergut, then maybe this flavor could make it into the finished beer.

This is all a WAG, but that's the road I'd go down if I were looking to do a deeper dive into this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer