Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using edibles (THC Gummies) in beer recipe  (Read 3357 times)

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Using edibles (THC Gummies) in beer recipe
« on: March 28, 2022, 04:59:53 pm »
Has anyone brewed a cannabis infused beer using THC gummies? If so, how did you incorporate them into the wort? I am thinking at less than 180* with some whirlpool hops BUT actually have no idea. The heat may even drive off the psychoactive compounds but again, I haven't a clue.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Using edibles (THC Gummies) in beer recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 07:29:01 pm »
Melt them and throw them in post fermentation or eat one and drink a beer
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 07:37:32 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 04:03:50 am »

I ate my first and last one about a month ago. To say I did NOT like it is an understatement. Too much of a body high and ended up going to bed. Slept great though from what I can remember.

Hence the reason for adding to a 5 gallon batch.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 07:00:37 am »

I ate my first and last one about a month ago. To say I did NOT like it is an understatement. Too much of a body high and ended up going to bed. Slept great though from what I can remember.

Hence the reason for adding to a 5 gallon batch.

same, i never enjoyed edibles, they just hit too hard for me and suddenly after a long period of nothing.

it looks like TeeHC wouldn't "boil off"(?) at normal water boiling temps of 100C, but in any case maybe add whatever you want without too much time left in the boil?

nb: i do not do weed anymore, i haven't used it in a long long time.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 08:24:52 am »
I'm not sure why you would want to add THC to a beer.  But to each their own.  Personally I think it would be better to dose yourself with beer and gummies separately so you have control over your mix ratio.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 10:27:37 am »
If you feel the need to do this, I'd use a tincture that would normally be intended to add to a drink. That would be way easier than trying to figure out gummies. This way you could add it at packaging. Of course, at that point, you might as well just dose it in the glass as you pour it so you can control your dose. Depending on how much you drink and your typical dose of edibles, 1-2mg per pint would be the highest I'd go. And I'd be sure to warn the hell out of anyone you share the beer with!

Oral THC doesn't kick in anywhere near as fast as alcohol, so you're setting yourself up for a double whammy after you've been drinking for a while and then the accumulated THC starts to kick in... and keeps kicking in long after the point when you wish you stopped drinking hours prior...

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 03:46:29 pm »
I'm not sure why you would want to add THC to a beer.  But to each their own.  Personally I think it would be better to dose yourself with beer and gummies separately so you have control over your mix ratio.

Welp, because when they throw dirt in your face the experiments are over. I did just that, ate a 10mg and had maybe a qt of beer. Entirely too much of the gummy. So I am hoping that by combining both in one package I will reach a happy medium.

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 03:56:27 pm »
If you feel the need to do this, I'd use a tincture that would normally be intended to add to a drink. That would be way easier than trying to figure out gummies. This way you could add it at packaging. Of course, at that point, you might as well just dose it in the glass as you pour it so you can control your dose. Depending on how much you drink and your typical dose of edibles, 1-2mg per pint would be the highest I'd go. And I'd be sure to warn the hell out of anyone you share the beer with!

Oral THC doesn't kick in anywhere near as fast as alcohol, so you're setting yourself up for a double whammy after you've been drinking for a while and then the accumulated THC starts to kick in... and keeps kicking in long after the point when you wish you stopped drinking hours prior...

Oh this is just for me to try. I can't be responsible for other people having an unfavorable experience.

1-2 mg per pint might do it but maybe just try 1/pint. 5 gallons/40 pints/40mg What's the worst that can happen? I throw it down the drain!!

Cheers!

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 08:15:13 pm »
Just wondering why you would want to infuse beer with edibles when you don't like feeling that edibles give you?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 09:02:46 pm »
I'd buy the base THC product (e.g. THC butter) which would be cheaper and dissolve better than gummies.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 07:30:09 am »
Just wondering why you would want to infuse beer with edibles when you don't like feeling that edibles give you?

One 10mg gummy was just too much. Trying to spread the effects out for a while having just a few beers. My tolerance for such a large amount is very low. Basically just went to bed and slept very well on 10 mg's but that is secondary to the relaxation I was in search of.

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2022, 07:30:53 am »
I'd buy the base THC product (e.g. THC butter) which would be cheaper and dissolve better than gummies.

Will look into, thanks!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2022, 12:10:07 pm »
Are you sure you want butter in your beer?

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 02:23:17 pm »
Zymurgy March 2020 has an article on brewing with THC. Seems like there's some kind of THC powder you can add to beer.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2022, 08:11:24 am »

One 10mg gummy was just too much. Trying to spread the effects out for a while having just a few beers. My tolerance for such a large amount is very low. Basically just went to bed and slept very well on 10 mg's but that is secondary to the relaxation I was in search of.

Copy that. Makes sense. Flowers are my jam because it's so easy to regulate dosage. Good luck with your experiment.