Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hard Cider - Sit in Primary too long?  (Read 517 times)

Offline Chip_N_Dabs

• 1st Kit
Hard Cider - Sit in Primary too long?
« on: March 29, 2022, 05:36:59 pm »
Hey Everyone

I'm just curious as to if my cider is safe to bottle, drink, or what my next steps should be?

I was given a 1 gallon cider kit for christmas and I recently started my 2nd go. The first was fine, done in 4 weeks w/ bottling and was better a few weeks after sitting with some bubbles. Important to note: I used 1 gallon of Tree Top not from concentrate three apple blend. It was already filtered when I started, but fermented well and tasted good when it was all done.

This time around I used Safeway unfiltered apple cider (the kind in the 1/2 gallon glass jugs). It has been about 6 weeks sitting on the yeast from start (2/14/22) and this is mostly because things have gotten hectic with some family things and home repair that all came out of nowhere recently. It has not cleared out at all, and I am wondering if it is safe to bottle, or should I move it to a second carboy or glass jugs to sit in a secondary? Per kit instructions, I added nothing extra to this juice and it is just yeast and cider. I'm an extreme beginner so I'm still feeling things out!

Thank you!

Offline skschawal

• 1st Kit
Re: Hard Cider - Sit in Primary too long?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 09:57:39 am »
Should not be an issue with it sitting on the yeast.  Go ahead and bottle.  If you did not add pectin enzyme, that could be causing some of the haziness in your cider.  I've had that happen before and the cider was good but not clear.  You can always try to move it to a secondary and see if it clears up over time, but just depends on what you want to do.  Call it a hazy cider, that's what all the crazy kids are drinking these days!   :)