Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hard Cider - Too long in Primary?  (Read 857 times)

Offline Chip_N_Dabs

• 1st Kit
Hard Cider - Too long in Primary?
« on: March 29, 2022, 05:41:36 pm »
Hey Everyone

I'm just curious as to if my cider is safe to bottle, drink, or what my next steps should be?

I was given a 1 gallon cider kit for christmas and I recently started my 2nd go. The first was fine, done in 4 weeks w/ bottling and was better a few weeks after sitting with some bubbles. Important to note: I used 1 gallon of Tree Top not from concentrate three apple blend. It was already filtered when I started, but fermented well and tasted good when it was all done.

This time around I used Safeway unfiltered apple cider (the kind in the 1/2 gallon glass jugs). It has been about 6 weeks sitting on the yeast from start (2/14/22) and this is mostly because things have gotten hectic with some family things and home repair that all came out of nowhere recently. It has not cleared out at all, and I am wondering if it is safe to bottle, or should I move it to a second carboy or glass jugs to sit in a secondary? Per kit instructions, I added nothing extra to this juice and it is just yeast and cider. I'm an extreme beginner so I'm still feeling things out!

Thank you!

Offline Dan Schreffler

• 1st Kit
Re: Hard Cider - Too long in Primary?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 08:07:00 am »
Hi -
When you ask "is it safe to bottle" what do you mean?  How does it smell & taste?  Not sure if you have used a hydrometer to measure the sugar at start and end.  This would provide info on how the ferment went and if it is done.

I usually rack off the yeast and allow for some additional settling/clearing before bottling.  Given this is a small amount of cider, you could rack and then allow it to clear a bit in the refrigerator.  Since this was unfiltered cider, it may remain hazy, which is perfectly fine.
Dan Schreffler
Space Time Mead & Cider Works
Dunmore PA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 08:15:24 am »
I often let my ciders go a couple months.  IMO it's more like wine than beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 12:03:25 pm »
I often let my ciders go a couple months.  IMO it's more like wine than beer.

I do two months as well.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny