Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Foam Stability  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Foam Stability
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2022, 04:20:42 pm »
Thanks for the responses! Honestly, just looking to improve our brewing. It is an area where we got dinged on appearance, so looking at all possible solutions to do better next time.

The North Texas Homebrewers cleaned up this year at the Bluebonnet. My brewing friend and part owner of Bel Air wants to go back next year and see if we can "clean up". I just laughed when he said that!

My conclusion is that the problem is in my bottling. We never bottle, except for a very rare competition, or giving beer to the neighbors. So I have my work cut out for me!

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2022, 06:51:01 pm »
Your beers look great, and I have no doubt they taste great as well. Congrats on your homebrewing success!

I recently splurged and bought a Lukr side-pull faucet. Where I used to work, this was the only kind of faucet we had in the taproom. I was sold on it right away. I didn't realize until recently how readily available they were to the homebrew market. It creates a great foam texture. Not cheap though  :-\

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2022, 05:25:22 am »
Your beers look great, and I have no doubt they taste great as well. Congrats on your homebrewing success!

I recently splurged and bought a Lukr side-pull faucet. Where I used to work, this was the only kind of faucet we had in the taproom. I was sold on it right away. I didn't realize until recently how readily available they were to the homebrew market. It creates a great foam texture. Not cheap though  :-\

Cool, Lukr is in my favorite country to have a beer! Crazy expensive, however. I could never talk my wife into a $400 faucet!

My efforts will be directed at the bottling process, with more attention to carbonation, and sanitation. Just bought 100 oxygen absorbing bottle caps. Have not used these before, but they state the beer will remain fresh for up to 6 months.

Thanks for your kind words.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 05:52:54 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2022, 07:30:47 am »
Not mine, but someone who prides himself on his foam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTMWF-abaps
Science functions when theory correctly predicts the results of experiments.
Six Sigma in a former life. Retired in the current life.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2022, 09:27:14 am »

Pretty interesting. At the halfway mark, it has settled down quite a bit.

Sent my beer foam photos to a BJCP judge for the Bluebonnet. He said nothing wrong at all. But he looked at my scoresheets, where head dissipation and carbonation were noted. He and I came to the same conclusion...my problem is in the bottling process.

Hope to have that issue fixed!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 09:58:10 am by Bel Air Brewing »

narvin

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2022, 08:38:42 am »

Do we have a foam stability problem, based on these photos?

Your foam seems fine from the keg, so if you bottle from the keg and competitions are dinging you for poor foam, then bottling could be a problem if the latter is the case. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 08:40:29 am by narvin »

narvin

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2022, 08:47:40 am »

Here's about 4 minutes of my Belgian Blond (the video started a little after pouring) until my phone crapped out. I only started with a few inches of head due to the glass size.  Quite pleased with the fine bubbles and excellent lacing.

https://youtu.be/5QfuWB3wNtk

Process: High O2 mash, copper pipe added in mash tun for authentic Belgian goodness, keg primed after primary fermentation.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2022, 08:50:22 am »
Thanks for the responses! Honestly, just looking to improve our brewing. It is an area where we got dinged on appearance, so looking at all possible solutions to do better next time.

The North Texas Homebrewers cleaned up this year at the Bluebonnet. My brewing friend and part owner of Bel Air wants to go back next year and see if we can "clean up". I just laughed when he said that!

My conclusion is that the problem is in my bottling. We never bottle, except for a very rare competition, or giving beer to the neighbors. So I have my work cut out for me!
If your bottles have soap residue that can kill the foam.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2022, 08:54:22 am »

If your bottles have soap residue that can kill the foam.

I don't think that is the cause. Pretty sure my wife does not use any soap, only boiling water for sterilization.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2022, 08:45:33 am »
try a 15 minute rest at 162 degrees

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2022, 01:50:38 pm »
I do that too, 162-163F, seems to enhance the foam.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2022, 02:08:28 pm »

yup, I gave it a try and noticed a difference. Of course if my glass isnt beer clean or if my lips are oily, it's a moot point.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2022, 03:53:02 pm »

Good advice. I know we are at 162 (+/-) for a period during the mash. Will pay more attention next time!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2022, 05:18:36 am »
Brewed up another 5D yesterday. Did a single decoction mash, with good results. The info on it seems to indicate this will help with foam stability issues, as well as clarity.