Poll

Help me decide!

Bottle
10 (76.9%)
Dump
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: September 26, 2010, 01:23:42 am

Author Topic: Sour Raspberry Abby  (Read 2090 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Sour Raspberry Abby
« on: September 18, 2010, 01:23:42 am »
Born on 8/13/08. Abby 5.6% ABV, FG 1.016 "The Forgotten One"

Found it was a little weirdly soured after a year in the keg so then used a strained Red Raspberry puree and aged another year in the keg.

It has amazing head, light mouthfeel and hop character with a mild flavor reminiscent of Raspberries. But, still there's that essential weird bug flavor that I didn't especially like in the first-place.

But it's Belgian...

Should I just bottle it with some fresh yeast and sugar for giggles? Maybe add some ginger and whatnot?

Or should it go down the drain?

I need the keg. It's contents are in your hands.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Sour Raspberry Abby
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:27:40 am »
Buy another keg  ;D

I think the off-character that you don't particularly care for is most likely to grow in the bottle, so if you don't like it it could be a dumper.  On the other hand, if you dump it you'll never know.

I say bottle it - if it still sucks you can always dump it later (says the hoarder).
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:53:14 am »
"Buy another keg"  That's pretty funny, Tom.
I assume it's not carbonated since you mentioned adding yeast at bottling.
Don't you have another carboy to store it for later?  I almost never throw away anything, especially homebrew.....
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 11:58:08 am »
No it is carbonated fairly high in the keg. Just not sure how it'll take transfer to the bottles. I do have a DIY bottle filler that works pretty good, but not perfect. This beer will need to be over 3 volumes if I keep it. Am thinking of adding sugar solution made with ginger and maybe other flavors to bump the flavor and carbonation up. So, my concern is that after 2 years the yeast is completely dead.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bfogt

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 05:01:39 pm »
If it's carbonated at an unknown amount, I wouldn't go adding more sugar and yeast.  You're just asking for bombs.  Amp up the pressure in the keg or live with whatever volume you get.

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:30:18 am »
I agree, adding sugar sounds like a bad idea.  If there are some bugs in there you will be in danger!

I had a heather ale once go sour on me.  Must have been some wild yeast and or lacto bacteria one the dried heather I added to the fermenter.  I kept that sucker for a long time unsure what to do with it.  Even attempted to dump it a couple of times but I changed my mind.  I was not sure I enjoyed the flavor at first.  It grew on me though as it got more sour.  I enventually bottled what was left from the keg.  Just a plastic tube (piece of racking cane) and stopper like I always use.  I now only have 2 bottles left and I am reluctant to drink them as I will be sad when they are gone!

I guess the question comes down to how objectionable the off flavor is to you.  Does it have some merit or is it totally nasty?  If it has no redeeming qualities after all this time it likely won't improve with age.  Can you describe the "bug character"?  How does it taste?  Is it like anything you have tasted before?

In the beer I mentioned above it had a strange pineapple flavor at first.  As it got more sour I could still pick that out, but it melded with other sour fruit flavors and it dried out.

...Oh, and let us not perpetuate the stereotype that if a beer goes bad you should call it a Belgian.  If it sucks, it sucks.  Belgian beers do not suck, they are very deliberate.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:32:21 am by enso »
Dave Brush

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 11:15:15 am »
It's plenty sour but not like a gueuze. There's a taste there that I've seen in infected commercial beers. I don't thinks it's acetobacter or lacto. Doesn't taste or smell foul, which is the only reason it didn't get tossed originally. Not enough experience to identify or describe the flavor but I have also tasted something like it, albeit a bit more subtle in Pierre Celis' limited offerings.

Folks I haven't voted so I don't know how it's going. The poll closes on Sunday and I will cast my vote to see what the results are but will not include it in the count. I hope it isn't a tie...

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 02:08:44 pm »
Well, I have not voted yet because I don't know what to tell you yet.

If as you stated "it doesn't taste or smell foul" I would say hang on to it.  Either keep it in the keg or bottle it from the keg if you need the keg space.  Perhaps it is a funk you aren't used to but it may grow on you.

You say it is plenty sour but not like a gueze.  Is it a sharp acidity?  Soft?  Bitter?  Fruity?  Earthy?  Vinegary?  Burning?  Think beyond beer.  Does it remind you of any foods?

Trying to determine where it may have gone "off" might also help.  Can you think of anything that may have happnened to this beer where an infection may have come in?

I guess the most important thing to decide is if you think you will drink it someday.  If it is obnoxious and not enjoyable with each sip, dump it.  If it is somewhat enjoyable or interesting in some way hang on to it.
Dave Brush

Offline robbievonb

• 1st Kit
  • San Marcos, CA
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:30:56 pm »
I think if you have to question whether or not it's good enough to keep that means it's a dumper.  Give it as a sacrifice to the beer gods and they will smile upon your next brew.  ;D

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 12:31:29 pm »
OK the people have decided!

Out of 13 votes 10 were for bottling. I will bottle today or in the near future. I might still add a teeny bit of sugar since I will be filling from the keg, and I'm sure to lose some carbonation. Additionally, I suspect this needs higher volumes to taste right and I'm pretty confident in what a bottle can withstand.