Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Perfect Pils - Classic German Yeast (5D)  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Perfect Pils - Classic German Yeast (5D)
« on: March 28, 2022, 01:48:32 pm »
Getting ready to brew a German Pils for competition.
Here are my yeast choices.

1. Diamond Lager
2. S-189
3. W-34/70

While Diamond has been our go to favorite, what do you think about S-189? We have never used it before.
W-34/70 has been used in the past with good results.

Which of these 3 yeasts would make the best 5D beer?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Perfect Pils - Classic German Yeast (5D)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 02:42:27 pm »

1. Diamond Lager
2. S-189
3. W-34/70

While Diamond has been our go to favorite, what do you think about S-189? We have never used it before.

I've used S-189 for years.  It's a very good yeast and has made some good pils for me, but I think of it more for maltier, fuller bodied beers. If this beer is for you and you want to experiment, go fir it.  Otherwise I'd say Diamond.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 02:54:03 pm »

1. Diamond Lager
2. S-189
3. W-34/70

I've used S-189 for years.  It's a very good yeast and has made some good pils for me, but I think of it more for maltier, fuller bodied beers. If this beer is for you and you want to experiment, go fir it.  Otherwise I'd say Diamond.

Thanks. The beer will be for us, but the primary consideration is competition. We will brew up 10 gallons.
Diamond it is!
Thanks again!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 03:16:50 pm »

1. Diamond Lager
2. S-189
3. W-34/70

Thanks. The beer will be for us, but the primary consideration is competition. We will brew up 10 gallons.
Diamond it is!
Thanks again!

10 gal. is the perfect opportunity for a test.  Split it and pitch each yeast into half.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 04:28:30 pm »

1. Diamond Lager
2. S-189
3. W-34/70

Diamond it is!
Thanks again!

10 gal. is the perfect opportunity for a test.  Split it and pitch each yeast into half.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will do that, S-189 / Diamond.
Great idea!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 08:39:21 am »
I don't know how well it would do in a competition, but I'm currently drinking a pilsner that used S-189 and I'm pretty happy with it.
I also went with hersbrucker instead of mittlefruh and am happy with that choice also.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 09:52:06 am »

1. Diamond Lager
2. S-189
3. W-34/70

Diamond it is!
Thanks again!

Thank you for the suggestion. I will do that, S-189 / Diamond.
Great idea!

That way you can decide for yourself rather than going with someone else's opinion

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 02:53:54 pm »
Huge fan of Diamond for German style pils. Recently brewed with Morebeer Berlin, S23?, and was pleasantly surprised. Was a batch of hoppy helles, Pilsner malt/3% carahell/large whirlpool addition of strata. The hops and esters are amazing together and the there’s this incredible soft malty thing going on. Maybe a touch to fruity for German pils but nice alternative to mix up the lager yeast choices.

After all the negative reviews I’ve read about S23 I was sure surprised by the results!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 03:36:41 pm »
Huge fan of Diamond for German style pils. Recently brewed with Morebeer Berlin, S23?, and was pleasantly surprised. Was a batch of hoppy helles, Pilsner malt/3% carahell/large whirlpool addition of strata. The hops and esters are amazing together and the there’s this incredible soft malty thing going on. Maybe a touch to fruity for German pils but nice alternative to mix up the lager yeast choices.

After all the negative reviews I’ve read about S23 I was sure surprised by the results!

Never tried S-23. We have done very well in competitions with W-34/70 and Diamond.
As I have said, Diamond has become our go-to daily-driver yeast. It's performance has been nothing short of spectacular.

Per Denny's advice, I'll split up the next batch, S-189 & Diamond. The best one will go to the competition.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 03:50:19 pm »

Never tried S-23. We have done very well in competitions with W-34/70 and Diamond.
As I have said, Diamond has become our go-to daily-driver yeast. It's performance has been nothing short of spectacular.

Per Denny's advice, I'll split up the next batch, S-189 & Diamond. The best one will go to the competition.

I know lots of people like S23, but I'm not one of them.  I made the worst pils I've ever made with it. It was so weird that IO sent some to John Palmer to laugh about.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 04:21:55 am »
I have split most batches recently, including a S-189 vs. Diamond split.  I love S-189 but I love Diamond even better.  They are similar but Diamond has the edge.

Keep on splitting.  Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 07:52:17 am »
I have split most batches recently, including a S-189 vs. Diamond split.  I love S-189 but I love Diamond even better.  They are similar but Diamond has the edge.

Keep on splitting.  Cheers.

This will be a first for us, splitting up 10 gallons. Looking forward to the results. Curious about the S-189. Diamond is sooooo good, that we have not had a reason to make any changes.
But there are 4 very fresh packages of 189 in my fridge, so here we go!