Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anchor Steam aka California Common interesting results  (Read 1083 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Anchor Steam aka California Common interesting results
« on: April 01, 2022, 03:48:23 pm »
Recently brewed the BYO, White Labs “Crazy 4 Cali” recipe. This is supposed to be an Anchor Steam, aka California Common, clone.

Since I had recently brewed a true Anchor Steam using White Labs 810 I planned to repitch the yeast into the “Crazy 4 Cali” brew.

No luck. The White Labs 810 yeast was dead.

Oh, no!

Since the WL810 was dead, in 5 gallons I pitched dry yeast SafAle-S04, in the other 5 gallons I pitched dry yeast Mangrove Jack M44.

The S04 version was very good. I did detect some slight esters from the British yeast. However, IMO, this was a decent Anchor Steam. Probably, 20 years ago, I would have not even noticed the esters.

Came time to keg and serve the M44 version. Immoderately I notice a difference. To me the M44 fermented brew tastes more as a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Most interesting.

Others thoughts, input, comments, etc on me to understand the difference between the 2 yeasts that I used for fermenating?

Thanks.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Anchor Steam aka California Common interesting results
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 03:51:11 pm »
Isn't M44 their American ale yeast? I would assume it's very similar to WLP001, WY1056, and god forbid US-05....
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 04:36:49 pm »
M44, though called US West Coast, is a higher attenuator (77 to 85%) than the Chico strains (73 to 77%). It's great for dry and hoppy brews, but definitely way too neutral for a California Common.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 05:17:30 pm »
Recently brewed the BYO, White Labs “Crazy 4 Cali” recipe. This is supposed to be an Anchor Steam, aka California Common, clone.

I searched BYO for this recipe and couldn't find it. I finally found it at Briess:
https://www.brewingwithbriess.com/recipes/beer/display/crazy_4_cali
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 05:41:10 pm »
M44, though called US West Coast, is a higher attenuator (77 to 85%) than the Chico strains (73 to 77%). It's great for dry and hoppy brews, but definitely way too neutral for a California Common.
Are these based on your experience or what they tell you? I rarely get below 78% with 05. Oops also for got to mention the superior bry97 according to most.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 05:53:11 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 08:17:19 pm »
Are these based on your experience or what they tell you? I rarely get below 78% with 05. Oops also for got to mention the superior bry97 according to most.

I was generalizing to point out the difference between M44 and typical California/American/Chico Ale strains. and should have added that US-05 is rated to 78 to 82% AA, higher than most. The attenuation numbers I cite for M44 are from both my experience and data from Mangrove Jack's. My APAs and IPAs are usually at the upper end of the range.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 08:04:21 am »

I searched BYO for this recipe and couldn't find it. I finally found it at Briess:
https://www.brewingwithbriess.com/recipes/beer/display/crazy_4_cali

The recipe was on the postcard size White Labs recipe in the September 2020 BYO. The printed hop ounces are incorrect.