Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American IPA  (Read 2100 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
American IPA
« on: April 02, 2022, 09:07:07 am »
Hey All,
This is only my 2nd attempt at an American/West Coast IPA and I would appreciate your opinions on my recipe and process.

Water: RO w/CaSo4 & salt which will achieve 65ppm Ca. / 155ppm SO4. /  33ppm Na. / 19ppm CL2.

Grain: 40lbs Simpsons Golden Promise Pale Ale
          1lbs Simpsons Dextrin Malt
          .75lbs Crisp Crystal Light 45L

Mash in @ 150/60mins. 5.6 pH

Boil: 75mins.

Hops: 65 IBU's Centennial @ FWH(75mins.) 60/45/30/15 equal additions for bittering
          56g ea of Cryo Citra and Cryo Mosaic @ 180* steep.
          56g ea of Cryo Citra and Cryo Mosaic @ day 3 of fermentation.

Possibly I will add dry hops of same to kegs. HERE IS WHERE I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH TO ADD> I was thinking 14g ea of Mosaic and Citra to each keg.

Yeast: US-05 ferment @ 67

OG: 1.064
FG: 1.012

Any comments/critiques/opinions are appreciated!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: American IPA
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 09:12:00 am »
If you really want to make it a WCIPA, I'd use something other thamm Golden Promis and remove the dextrin malt. I'd also skip the dry hopping during fermentation and do it post ferment. I have no doubt your recipe would produce a tasty beer, but it's more of a cross between British and NE IPA rather than WC.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 10:15:16 am »
What's your batch size? Is 40lbs of base malt correct? Something doesn't seem to add up there for me. Also, while I think that GP isn't typical for the style, I have no problem with it per se.

If you enjoy making all those hop additions, go right ahead, but I think a 60 minute addition for all your IBU's (Cent is OK, I prefer CTZ or Chinook in this style), followed by a late-boil or flameout addition, and 1 dry hop addition at (or near) the end of fermentation is how I'd approach it. The steep and active fermentation dry hop that you have planned will probably lead to a hazy beer, leaning more towards a NEIPA. FYI, the hot steep will definitely add some IBU's (not a problem in this style, but something to keep in mind).

I don't keg-hop, so I can't help you on that one.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 11:16:47 am »
Thanks for replying.

Denny, if I can ask, can you expound on why I should replace the golden promise with another grain and why should I delete the dextrin? Again, I have next to zero exp with IPA's.

Eric, it is a 17 gallon batch size and kegging 15 gals. I will def look into those hop suggestions. I absolutely do not want any hazy effects. Crystal clear is what I like in beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 12:06:01 pm »
Thanks for replying.

Denny, if I can ask, can you expound on why I should replace the golden promise with another grain and why should I delete the dextrin? Again, I have next to zero exp with IPA's.

Eric, it is a 17 gallon batch size and kegging 15 gals. I will def look into those hop suggestions. I absolutely do not want any hazy effects. Crystal clear is what I like in beer.

A WCIPA should be crisp. IMO using GP will give it too much malt presence.   You have crystal in there already, so using dextrin malt seems redundant.  Again, this beer should be crisp, clean and bitter.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 12:23:12 pm »
Thanks for replying.

A WCIPA should be crisp. IMO using GP will give it too much malt presence.   You have crystal in there already, so using dextrin malt seems redundant.  Again, this beer should be crisp, clean and bitter.

Will look into possibly substituting with Rahr 2 row or Lamonta. Used Mecca Grande in the past and thought it was a great product. Yes, looking for that clean, clear and crisp beer!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 12:38:00 pm »
Thanks for replying.

Will look into possibly substituting with Rahr 2 row or Lamonta. Used Mecca Grande in the past and thought it was a great product. Yes, looking for that clean, clear and crisp beer!!

I use Lamonta form WCIPA a lot.  Very tasty, but almost too much IMO. My most recent one was made with Crisp Plumage Archer and I really like it.  Has malt flavor without going over the top on body. The Rahr pale also will work well.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 03:44:14 pm »
Thanks for replying.

I use Lamonta form WCIPA a lot.  Very tasty, but almost too much IMO. My most recent one was made with Crisp Plumage Archer and I really like it.  Has malt flavor without going over the top on body. The Rahr pale also will work well.

So I am going to use the Lamonta, def liked their product in prior recipes. Using the C-Light and I agree with dropping the dextrin.

One last question though about cryo hop addition rates compared to T-90 addition rates. Having never used Cryo hops I'm ignorant as to how much to use post ferment. I am using 56g ea of mosaic and citra in whirlpool @ 180* and was going to use the same amount during fermentation but on your advise will add post ferm. Would 56g of ea be too much/not enough for flavor/aroma? 17 gallon batch size.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 04:39:20 pm »
Thanks for replying.

So I am going to use the Lamonta, def liked their product in prior recipes. Using the C-Light and I agree with dropping the dextrin.

One last question though about cryo hop addition rates compared to T-90 addition rates. Having never used Cryo hops I'm ignorant as to how much to use post ferment. I am using 56g ea of mosaic and citra in whirlpool @ 180* and was going to use the same amount during fermentation but on your advise will add post ferm. Would 56g of ea be too much/not enough for flavor/aroma? 17 gallon batch size.

I tend to use 2, maybe 3, oz. in a 6 gal. batch so I'd say you're in the ballpark. Start with the 56 g and see what you think. You can always adjust next time. And if possible, do it cold.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2022, 06:03:13 pm »
Thanks for replying.

I tend to use 2, maybe 3, oz. in a 6 gal. batch so I'd say you're in the ballpark. Start with the 56 g and see what you think. You can always adjust next time. And if possible, do it cold.

Much appreciated Denny!!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 01:26:27 pm »
If you really want to make it a WCIPA, I'd use something other thamm Golden Promis and remove the dextrin malt. I'd also skip the dry hopping during fermentation and do it post ferment. I have no doubt your recipe would produce a tasty beer, but it's more of a cross between British and NE IPA rather than WC.
counter to this, my best WCIPA's use Golden Promise as 100% of the grain bill. GP isnt as nutty or rich as Maris Otter, but it seems to just taste less husky/thin than most standard pale malts.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2022, 01:31:55 pm »
counter to this, my best WCIPA's use Golden Promise as 100% of the grain bill. GP isnt as nutty or rich as Maris Otter, but it seems to just taste less husky/thin than most standard pale malts.

In my experience, it depends on whose GP you use. Simpson's is fairly dark and very malty.which is why I use it for 100% of a wee heavy. For my latest WCIPA I've been using Crisp Plumage Archer, which is very flavorful, but also light colored and gives just the right amount of body.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 08:46:37 am »

In my experience, it depends on whose GP you use. Simpson's is fairly dark and very malty.which is why I use it for 100% of a wee heavy. For my latest WCIPA I've been using Crisp Plumage Archer, which is very flavorful, but also light colored and gives just the right amount of body.

that malt sounds really good. I'll have to give it a try one of these days

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 09:27:30 am »

that malt sounds really good. I'll have to give it a try one of these days

It's sensational.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 04:06:01 pm »
Where can you purchase Crisp Plumage Archer?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's