Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Competitions / Judging - North Coast Old Rasputin Clone  (Read 4661 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Beer Competitions / Judging - North Coast Old Rasputin Clone
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2022, 02:50:53 pm »
Quite the conundrum here. Sometimes I post looking for feedback but then ignore the feedback I get. Seems similar here.

Quite frankly, I'm seeking help in determining what this beer actually is. If it is not an Imperial Stout, then what is it?

And we know it's not a Big Brown Ale.

Any advice offered will be fully considered. A recipe was provided earlier, and we will brew that. But only after a thorough forensic analysis is finished here.

Thanks for all of your input!

Why does it have to fit any category at all?  Many beers don't.
After reading a bit of beer history I've learned that the BJCP Guidelines are merely that guidelines. Unless you are hell bent on competition styles beer can go any way you want it.

I like to brew the way that tastes the best to me but I don't enter competition or care about them for that matter.

I'm brewing a 1910 dark mild right now from a historical book that wouldn't fit in the category of a dark mild by today's standards.

Honestly, never really thought about beers that do not fit a category! Early in my brewing career, I would just whip up a recipe on my own, with a little guidance from a graduate of the Siebel Institute, who was also the brewmaster at a local Hofbrau brewpub. The only goal was to brew a good beer, and one that was drinkable / likable.

Competitions were not even a consideration.

And I will get back into brewing beer just for fun, without concerns for the BJCP rules. I do enjoy the challenge, however.

Thanks again for your input.

Make your challenge to learn how to brew the beer you want to drink, not the one judges want to taste.

You may not realize this, but new styles are added to GABF all the time because brewers make beers to no particular style.  So in order to judge them, the organizers have to make up categories to put them in.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2022, 03:10:22 pm »
Quite the conundrum here. Sometimes I post looking for feedback but then ignore the feedback I get. Seems similar here.

Quite frankly, I'm seeking help in determining what this beer actually is. If it is not an Imperial Stout, then what is it?

Any advice offered will be fully considered. A recipe was provided earlier, and we will brew that. But only after a thorough forensic analysis is finished here.

After reading a bit of beer history I've learned that the BJCP Guidelines are merely that guidelines. Unless you are hell bent on competition styles beer can go any way you want it.

I like to brew the way that tastes the best to me but I don't enter competition or care about them for that matter.

I'm brewing a 1910 dark mild right now from a historical book that wouldn't fit in the category of a dark mild by today's standards.

Honestly, never really thought about beers that do not fit a category! Early in my brewing career, I would just whip up a recipe on my own, with a little guidance from a graduate of the Siebel Institute, who was also the brewmaster at a local Hofbrau brewpub. The only goal was to brew a good beer, and one that was drinkable / likable.

And I will get back into brewing beer just for fun, without concerns for the BJCP rules. I do enjoy the challenge, however.

Make your challenge to learn how to brew the beer you want to drink, not the one judges want to taste.

You may not realize this, but new styles are added to GABF all the time because brewers make beers to no particular style.  So in order to judge them, the organizers have to make up categories to put them in.
Brew on! Cheers!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2022, 06:47:17 pm »

No, I was not aware of this. Interesting!

Great advice, and that is pretty much what I'm doing now, with 20 gallons of 5D (German Pilsner) fermenting.

If I could just brew one or two really good beers, on a consistent basis, I am a happy camper (brewer!).

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2022, 06:39:32 pm »
I’ve been thinking about your question on the best BJCP category for your strong, dark, not too roasty ale.  It may compete well as an Old Ale.  That category is more open to interpretation than most.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2022, 07:21:50 pm »
I’ve been thinking about your question on the best BJCP category for your strong, dark, not too roasty ale.  It may compete well as an Old Ale.  That category is more open to interpretation than most.

lol yeah, i was always amused by the huge ranges in colour, strength, IBU etc of the category of "old ale". along with the few examples i ever encountered that really are notably aged, rather than just a strong english ale.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2022, 07:50:43 pm »
Maybe Malty McMalt Mouth?
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=37925.msg474973#msg474973
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2022, 08:45:56 pm »

Very interesting. Looked just now at the guidelines, and it mostly fits, while pushing the SRM and ABV a bit outside the envelope.
They do say there is overlap into the Barleywine and British Strong Ale beers.