Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 30 minute boil pilsner  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
30 minute boil pilsner
« on: April 07, 2022, 08:29:57 am »
I'm about half way through a batch of pilsner that I only boiled for 30 minutes that came out great: no dms.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: 30 minute boil pilsner
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 08:38:02 am »
I have posted about scaling (aka square-cube).
DMS is a pro issue for the most part.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 09:15:53 am »
DMS is a pro issue for the most part.

I agree.  I believe it has to do with relative surface area of the boiling wort, and relative ventilation.  Boil vigor also plays a role.  If memory serves, Martin Brungard or somebody also did some sort of detailed study recently on this, believe I read it on (gasp!) HBT.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 11:38:43 am »
Some info on 30 min vs 90 min, using Pilsner malt.
As is the case 95% of the time, the tasting panel could not tell any difference in the two beers.

https://brulosophy.com/2015/09/14/boil-length-pt-2-pilsner-malt-exbeeriment-results/

Our boiling time is 90 minutes. Depending on the beer, sometimes we boil for 120 minutes.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 12:13:39 pm »
i can believe this for sure, especially with a vigorous boil entirely through. what company's pilsner malt?

some types of north american 2row though...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 12:27:25 pm »
i can believe this for sure, especially with a vigorous boil entirely through. what company's pilsner malt?

You get DMS from North American pale malt?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 12:28:00 pm »
Some info on 30 min vs 90 min, using Pilsner malt.
As is the case 95% of the time, the tasting panel could not tell any difference in the two beers.

https://brulosophy.com/2015/09/14/boil-length-pt-2-pilsner-malt-exbeeriment-results/

Our boiling time is 90 minutes. Depending on the beer, sometimes we boil for 120 minutes.

Please take that as a data point and confirm it with your own testing.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 12:31:43 pm »
I've boiled lots of lagers with pilsner malt for 30 minutes with no DMS. Martin Brungard talks about boiling wort in the the ZYMURGY: MAY/JUNE 2019 issue the article is called: Advances in Wort Boiling. It's a good read and you can get it in the Zymurgy archives.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 12:37:20 pm »

i can't remember when i last had DMS if ever, but it has always been on my mind. 1. i do not detect DMS very strongly personally 2. i tend to have always tried to make sure i don't get it using strong and long enough boils.

but i did a big beer with 12lbs of OiO 2row (plus other malts) recently and it just reeked of corn before i even added the mash water and especially so after i had. its fermenting now.. so we'll see how it goes. strong 60 min boil

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 12:50:14 pm »
I can't detect DMS from tasting but I can detect it from the slickness I feel in my mouth.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 01:11:21 pm »
I can't detect DMS from tasting but I can detect it from the slickness I feel in my mouth.

Do you maybe mean diacetyl?

www.dennybrew.com

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 01:12:44 pm »

You are confusing DMS with diacetyl.  Common whoopsie.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 01:15:14 pm »

Dan Carey of New Glarus uses all Briess, and on the tour (yeah my club took the fancy special tour), they discussed how they had to make special equipment changes to eliminate DMS.

...Meanwhile, I think Spotted Cow has some DMS, but it might be on purpose for THIS particular beer.  I don't get any DMS from their lagers, etc.
Dave

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2022, 01:27:51 pm »
Between No Sparge, 30 min boil, and 60°F ferment temp with 34/70, a Pils doesn’t seem nearly as out of reach as so many make it seem.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2022, 01:36:51 pm »

Sorry my mistake on my part DMS is the corney flavor.