Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 30 minute boil pilsner  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 30 minute boil pilsner
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 03:07:40 pm »
We have gotten cooked corn, and movie-theater-buttered popcorn on one or two of our brews.
It would not be a boil issue, as we never boil less than 60 minutes. Most often 90 minutes.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 03:18:46 pm »
We have gotten cooked corn, and movie-theater-buttered popcorn on one or two of our brews.
It would not be a boil issue, as we never boil less than 60 minutes. Most often 90 minutes.
Diacetyl is a fermentation issue, but a boil one.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 04:40:55 pm »

Neither of those is necessarily connected to boil time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2022, 02:57:28 pm »
I'm about half way through a batch of pilsner that I only boiled for 30 minutes that came out great: no dms.

Low or no DMS is possible in a Pilsner and if a 3L or 4L pale malt was used instead of a 2L Pils malt, it's even more possible.  It's the palest of malts that present the greatest possibility of having the DMS precursor (SMM) and DMS.  If your brewing practices have a really short time before the wort is chilled to under 185F, that also decreases the possibility of having DMS. 

For most regular brewers using a high percentage of Pils malt, boiling longer than a half hour is probably wise.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks