Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottles  (Read 1954 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Bottles
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2022, 05:00:43 pm »
All great info.  My process as of now is: Rinse the bottle after pour at least twice.  Store upside down in cardboard boxes or six pack holders.  Day of, or a day before, run the bottles in the sanitizing mode in the dishwasher, then put on the counter and get ready for bottling.  All caps go into a bowl of Starsan and the bottling wand and all hoses get a go around with starsan and then we are off the the races.  Each bottle is given a carb drop and bottle is placed on the lid of the open dishwasher so any spillage is not an issue, and I put the bucket on the counter so gravity fills them.  Bottle about 5 or so at a time.  Store in the closet for a few weeks, and then crack open and see what I got.  I have only bottles 3 batches so far, but none have had any issues with leaks or over carbonation using the carb drops I got from my local Morebeer.  I am hoping the rain stays away so I can brew two more 5 gallon batches.  One for bottling and one in the keg.  Then, I start trying different styles.  Sierra Nevada Pale ale similar is going to be my next try I think. 

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2022, 08:24:52 pm »
If you have access to empty copier paper boxes, they hold 32 12-oz. bottles nicely, and they have covers so they keep out dust and they stack.  My wife collects them from work. 

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2022, 08:11:28 am »
If you have access to empty copier paper boxes, they hold 32 12-oz. bottles nicely, and they have covers so they keep out dust and they stack.  My wife collects them from work. 

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk
That's a great solution! I'll have to look into that for my bottles.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2022, 09:46:46 am »
   I recently passed 11,000 bottles filled and capped, so my process is about as fine-tuned & efficient as I can possibly make it. Immediately after pouring bottles get a dump and rinse, 2nd rinse & scrub with a bottle brush, 3rd rinse and left in the dish rack to dry overnight. Once dry they're put upside down in a case box to keep dust out, when the case is full plastic wrap over the bottles, case taped shut and stored in the ready area.  Without counting I'm guessing I have somewhere around 35 to 40 cases of bottles, at the moment most are full, in fact I had to resort to using old twist top Coors bottles when I bottled yesterday as I didn't have enough of any one type of bottle to do the batch. One thing I won't do unless forced to by circumstances, is use more than one type of bottle per batch, makes filling and capping way too much of a b****.

do you ever have issues of hard to remove yeast/mineral deposits in the bottles? i have been checking mine over and using PBW/alk wash on ones where i see problems and it removes the little built up yeast(?) deposits which seem to occur more with some yeasts than others.

and for everyone, yes i do and always have done a good 3x swirl and washout with good amount of hot water after i pour a beer. i think i had one yeast or brew that left a lot of these "stains" a few months ago and didn't really diagnose it at the time. might have been WLP550.

i currently have created enough 500ml/568ml bottles to cover 2 full brews (18Lx2 - ~36L), then i tend to do a higher gravity brew in .33L bottles, of which i have about 24 litres, trying to leave some lie/eliminate excess of the .330s.

my process is:

1. wash out bottles after pour, store upright (i dont want to chip the mouths/i wash them out thoroughly later) in boxes
2. organize enough bottles to cover a bottling day for intended beer.
3. scan bottles to see if any have those scum/yeast/debris stains the water did not remove
4. set aside ones that do have this issue and PBW them for a few hours.
5. rinse them out and use iodophor to sanitize all bottles needed. let them settle/drip out.
6. spray a sheet of tinfoil with iodophor and cover the tops with a small wrap of sanitized tinfoil.
7. put them back in the boxes and use within max 3 days to bottle the beer.

maybe kinda wasteful but i like to break up the bottle management session from bottling day so its not a 3 hour event.
i have a homemade bottling wand type thing i made with a ~5 inch length of tubing with a lead-free plumbing line handle-tap in the middle to turn it on or off.off

A good scrub with a non-bedraggled bottle brush is a key part of the process. Unfortunately bottle brushes tend to wear out rather quickly.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2022, 11:44:36 am »
I've tried many methods of bottle cleaning. I was never completely satisfied until I tried a Papazian method. He wrote about cleaning carboys with 2 oz bleach in 5 gallons of water, with an overnight soak. I use this bleach concentration, but scaled down for just the bottles I am cleaning (one session of beer bottles) - still an overnight soak. Hot water rinse the next day with a jet washer. It cleans better than anything else I've tried - spotless and no film. Then on bottling day, I spray one bottle with star san using a vinator, while I'm filling the previous bottle - very little extra time involved. For the star san, I give it 30 seconds contact time plus a safety factor - that is what the inventor, Charlie Talley stated is required.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 11:49:19 am by neuse »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2022, 07:13:54 pm »

A good scrub with a non-bedraggled bottle brush is a key part of the process. Unfortunately bottle brushes tend to wear out rather quickly.

thank you, ive been trying to compile a list of a few little upgrades/small things i need to refill or get recently. that one slipped my mind and yes, its time for that.