Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1450 yeast  (Read 803 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
1450 yeast
« on: April 07, 2022, 05:56:21 pm »
OK, so I am thinking of doing a brew day in the next day or two.  I have had an unopened package of 1450 in my fridge that I ordered about 3 weeks ago.  Life got in the way, and it hasn't gotten used as the batch I was going to use it for has not gotten brewed yet.  So, my question is simple, how can I tell if it is still good?  Should I go get another package just in case?  I have some DME, maybe I should try and make a starter with it and see how it goes?  Any suggestions would be helpful.  I just hope that the yeast still is good.  We will see. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
1450 yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 06:44:43 pm »
Pop the nutrition pack inside the ‘smack pack’ pouch by wedging it between the heel of your hand and a hard surface and push until it bursts. If it swells in a few hours the yeast is alive.

https://youtu.be/-4-Lp3Kw2gE
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 06:50:31 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 1450 yeast
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 07:11:52 pm »
The package also has a best by date. That will give you a good clue.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 08:25:02 am »
How large a batch and what's the O G?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 09:11:42 am »
You should make a starter for any 5 gal. batch over 1.040 OG
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 09:16:52 am »
This is going to be a 2.5 gallon batch, and I am shooting for an OG of 1.080.  I am sure that is a bit high, but with the grain bill I have input into BrewFather, that is the OG it gave me.  I might take a ride to my local home brew place and grab a packet of dry yeast just in case.  What, if any, would be a good dry yeast to have on hand? 

Also, and I know I have asked this before, but how can I make a starter using either DME or wort starter in a can with only a pot and a plastic one gallon jug?  I am willing to give that a try today, leave it on the counter and use it tomorrow if that is possible.  I have light DME and an array of pots to use if needed.  Or is a can of wort starter better to do? 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 09:26:24 am »

I found it, says it is good until July of 2022, so I am good there.  Might just go get a dry yeast in case and try the starter.  Heck, I might go for a 5 gallon batch on this one so I can use my new kettle and burner.  LOL. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 09:48:53 am »

I found it, says it is good until July of 2022, so I am good there.  Might just go get a dry yeast in case and try the starter.  Heck, I might go for a 5 gallon batch on this one so I can use my new kettle and burner.  LOL.

If you go 5 gql., definitely make a starter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell