Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shelf life of sanitizers  (Read 739 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Shelf life of sanitizers
« on: April 09, 2022, 01:26:29 pm »
Hey team. I was cleaning the garage and found a jar of iodophor and saniclean from the Permian.  They were not mixed.  Do they go badthanks

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Shelf life of sanitizers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 01:30:08 pm »
They probably will someday, but I haven't reached that day yet!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 02:01:58 pm »
iodophor lasts a really long time, ive used some for 3+ years with zero noticeable change in use.

if you plan to store mixed starsan solution use distilled water IMHO or it will develop stringy white stuff over a long period of time(a few weeks) with some tapwater.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 03:24:22 pm »
Thanks.  I like to change up my sanitizers every now and then but these went off the grid for a long minute.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 11:10:02 am »
iodophor lasts a really long time, ive used some for 3+ years with zero noticeable change in use.

if you plan to store mixed starsan solution use distilled water IMHO or it will develop stringy white stuff over a long period of time(a few weeks) with some tapwater.

I've never had Starsan do that, even after several weeks. The current "new and improved" formulation of Saniclean though will definitely start doing that just a few days after mixing.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!