Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flaked Oats  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
Flaked Oats
« on: April 12, 2022, 04:45:45 pm »
Is there a difference between the flaked oats sold at my LHBS vs. what is sold at the grocery store? If so, will I be able to tell the difference in my beer?
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Flaked Oats
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 05:52:07 pm »
Not much difference and if I am honest I don’t think they’re very useful either way.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 05:54:49 pm »
I've used Quaker oats for several years with good results. I enter them in BeerSmith using the same specs as flaked oats. You need to avoid steel cut oats though unless you feel like doing a cereal mash.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 09:32:39 am »
Not much difference and if I am honest I don’t think they’re very useful either way.

Agreed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 09:38:13 am »

Agreed.
Why?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 10:50:05 am »

Agreed.
Why?

I've made 50% oat beers before, lackluster.  I've tasted several 100% oat beers before, lackluster.  Anyone who thinks they add great body, head retention, flavor, etc. is mistaken.  Try it and you'll find out.  Sure, if they are toasted, they'll taste toasty.  But if not..... they're just more of a pain to deal with in the mash, more than any value added to the finished beer.  I'd rather use any of a plethora of other brewing ingredients.  If you want body and head, try wheat or rye malt.  Easier, and more effective.  Don't forget a handful or three of rice hulls, if you are so inclined to help prevent a stuck mash.  Denny might not need any rice hulls, but everybody else does.   ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 11:05:32 am »

Agreed.
Why?

IIt seems the primary reason to use them is for increased foam and mouthfeel. In my use of them I haven't found either to be the case.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 02:33:37 pm »

Agreed.
Why?

IIt seems the primary reason to use them is for increased foam and mouthfeel. In my use of them I haven't found either to be the case.

It might be a matter of perception, but I think my oatmeal stout has a different mouthfeel vs. a stout sans oats. Maybe I have in my mind that the extracted lipids and beta glucans must be adding something. Also, John Palmer thinks they add something so I’ll go along with him.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 03:57:12 pm »

Agreed.
Why?

It might be a matter of perception, but I think my oatmeal stout has a different mouthfeel vs. a stout sans oats. Maybe I have in my mind that the extracted lipids and beta glucans must be adding something. Also, John Palmer thinks they add something so I’ll go along with him.

John thinks lots of crazy things.....😁

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 07:05:38 pm »
I only use them if they’re toasted.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 10:56:40 pm »
I use oats sparingly but when I do I've always used grocery store instant oats--and usually store brand. I brew with them so infrequently that it's easier to grab a few ounces out of a container in the pantry than run out to the homebrew shop for a more expensive pound of what seems to be the same thing.

I don't feel that my beers with grocery store oats taste or feel different than the same beers using flaked oats from brewing suppliers.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 08:35:06 am »
I detect oats as this weird silky/jello like mouthfeel that Im not a fan of

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 09:23:08 pm »
i am really not a fan of golden naked oats, used a pound of them once and the beer just had this massive overbearing strange grainy taste. that was the only unknown factor in that brew. tried the innis & gunn lager which has golden naked oats in it, caught the same flavour i hated. it was something like astringent/harsh grain.

it kind of put me off oats, and made me realize why oat-malt beers were the cheapest category of beers in the middle ages.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 08:43:08 am »
i am really not a fan of golden naked oats, used a pound of them once and the beer just had this massive overbearing strange grainy taste. that was the only unknown factor in that brew. tried the innis & gunn lager which has golden naked oats in it, caught the same flavour i hated. it was something like astringent/harsh grain.

it kind of put me off oats, and made me realize why oat-malt beers were the cheapest category of beers in the middle ages.

Those are very different than flaked oats.  More like a crystal malt.

www.dennybrew.com