Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: barleywine/very strong ale carbonation level advice?  (Read 3373 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
barleywine/very strong ale carbonation level advice?
« on: April 11, 2022, 08:16:37 pm »
so i made a beer that should end up about 11% ABV and has a kg of dextrose in it. i wanted a dry barleywine with oak.

i envisioned this as a very lightly carbonated (under 1.1) sipper. the FG should be maximum 1.017, im estimating 1.014

however now that i need to decide how much dextrose ill use to bottle, im second guessing this. i know that 3.0+ will be guaranteed to blast the aroma up into one's nose.

in any case, what are your suggestions or experiences?

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: barleywine/very strong ale carbonation level advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 09:11:15 pm »
Purely personal preference, but I%u2019d say stick with your original plan. Lean into the wine in the barleywine.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 09:18:50 pm »
Purely personal preference, but I%u2019d say stick with your original plan. Lean into the wine in the barleywine.

thanks, ill see what others say but thats one strong vote.

ill embarass myself and explain my actual concept further. high ABV ale, 2row, little vienna, 1lb oak smoked wheat and 1/2lb amber malt. 1kg dextrose, so hoping it ends up very dry. used 2xbry97 and 1xbe256 in the hope the be256 might make a little bit of higher alcohol (it's also POF-, so no cloves i hope). oak it. and let it sit for a long time. low to no carbonation and i can have a sort of pseudo-whiskey drink.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 11:50:58 am »
I agree that high carbonation is undesirable. It tends to accentuate the booziness of big beers and fermentation issues that are more common in big beers like phenolics.

I shoot for something more like 1.8 v/v. Below that beers seem too flat for my taste assuming a serving temp of 50-55F. If you are serving at room temp I probably would go for 1.5 v/v.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 05:35:25 pm »
I make an American Barleywine every year and I prefer a decent amount of carbonation around 2.5
In fact, this year’s took a long time to carbonate (I bottle condition) and I tried it at different times with varying levels of carbonation and I really like it much better now that it is around 2.5 with a nice long lasting head. To me the carbonation helps cut through the thick malt flavor and heavy mouth feel, but this is simply my personal preference and maybe you wouldn’t share the same opinion of taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 08:42:04 pm »
thanks drew, kramerog and dannyjed. i think it will depend on the FG and characteristics of the beer, hard to tell at this point i guess. but your arguments are p clear, thats why im split.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 03:48:54 pm »
Suggestion - keg it, and then carbonate it to your liking. Then bottle it.
This technique did very well for us with our Barleywine entry (10.5% ABV) at the Bluebonnet.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 03:56:17 pm »
This technique did very well for us with our Barleywine entry (10.5% ABV) at the Bluebonnet.

Not a bad suggestion, but barleywine is often stored a long time and force caring isn't the best way to do that.  Best I've ever done in a comp was a 5 year old BW .
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 04:21:37 pm »

Not a bad suggestion, but barleywine is often stored a long time and force caring isn't the best way to do that.  Best I've ever done in a comp was a 5 year old BW .

Our BW was 10 months old at the time of judging. It aged very well in the keg. That is why I made the suggestion, as it is so easy to fine tune the CO2 level while in the keg.

Now you got me thinking...sit on this one for a couple more years!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 04:32:27 pm »

Our BW was 10 months old at the time of judging. It aged very well in the keg. That is why I made the suggestion, as it is so easy to fine tune the CO2 level while in the keg.

Now you got me thinking...sit on this one for a couple more years!

Yeah, you should.  If nothing else it's interesting to see how it changes.  One of the few styles that can actually benefit from oxidation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 04:41:39 pm »
I have learned over the years that the best way to package a Barleywine is to bottle condition it. Of course, if you can tie up a keg for over a year than I suppose that would work as well. I have tried a beer gun and counter flow, but bottle conditioning has worked best. I recently did vertical tasting of my Barleywines (1-5 years old) with my Homebrew Club and the overwhelming favorite was the 5 year old.

Dan Chisholm

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 07:28:13 pm »
I have learned over the years that the best way to package a Barleywine is to bottle condition it. Of course, if you can tie up a keg for over a year than I suppose that would work as well. I have tried a beer gun and counter flow, but bottle conditioning has worked best. I recently did vertical tasting of my Barleywines (1-5 years old) with my Homebrew Club and the overwhelming favorite was the 5 year old.

yup, i only bottle still. im trying to do a big beer every now and then and bottling in 330ml bottles, so i can keep some around for longer periods of time. it allows some long-term storage testing and also creates the potential for a nice surprise rather than just choosing from the 2 or 3 beers on deck at any one time.

@dannjyed, re: the 5 year old. any notes on what made the 5 year old better?

mad fermentationist (what happened to his blog anyway?) has a few articles comparing differently aged big beers which are neat
https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2018/01/10-year-old-courage-ris-clone.html

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2022, 07:59:35 pm »

yup, i only bottle still. im trying to do a big beer every now and then and bottling in 330ml bottles, so i can keep some around for longer periods of time. it allows some long-term storage testing and also creates the potential for a nice surprise rather than just choosing from the 2 or 3 beers on deck at any one time.

@dannjyed, re: the 5 year old. any notes on what made the 5 year old better?

mad fermentationist (what happened to his blog anyway?) has a few articles comparing differently aged big beers which are neat
https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2018/01/10-year-old-courage-ris-clone.html
No, I don’t have any notes beside the  other club members said that the 5 year had the most depth of character with a nice blend of malt and American hops. I have always scored well with my Barleywine in competitions including the NHC, but the most enjoyable experience is having a vertical tasting with my wife and friends in the winter months and comparing the different years. I also change the recipe all the time because I can’t just leave well enough alone.

Dan Chisholm

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2022, 08:30:09 pm »

We have a good supply of kegs, and aging different beers is part of our normal practice. I like the flexibility kegs offer, being able to easily pull a sample now and then, and comparing this month's flavor profile to last month's flavor.

I have a 2.5 gallon keg also, that is great for aging smaller size batches, or a split brew.

Our Barleywine just turned one year old now, still in the same keg. I do not bottle beer, except to give away and for competitions.

This brings up a question. Why would aging beer be better in a glass bottle than in a stainless steel keg? Has anyone done side-by-side blind taste tests? I bet someone has!

And how about cask-conditioning, or simply keg-conditioning?

Well-brewed kegged beers can store well, usually at relatively cold temperatures (around 4°C [40°F], the average temperature for normal storage of non-pasteurized kegged beer), for 10 years or more.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 08:50:33 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2022, 08:43:55 pm »

He went pro, I think, and got busy with that.

Edit: https://sapwoodcellars.com/home/scottandmike/

« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 08:59:36 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.