Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Conversion to all grain from extract  (Read 1219 times)

Online redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Conversion to all grain from extract
« on: April 11, 2022, 09:13:58 pm »
Greetings to all,

I am on vacation next week, and I am going to brew a few batches, well two actually cause that is the number of fermenters I have   LOL.  My question is this:  I got a recipe from a member here that was an extract version.  I would like to try the same recipe using all grain.  The recipe calls for 4.5 pounds of light DME and 2 pounds of Wheat DME.  What would I need in grain to make the equivalent?  Or am I simplifying this and will need more?  Any input would be most appreciated.

Also, it seems that the standard mash temp is about 152 to 155 for 60 minutes.  Would that be accurate?  It will be a 5 gallon batch, so I am going to put it in to Brewfather and see what amount of mash water and all that I need.   

Dino

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Conversion to all grain from extract
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 07:36:04 am »
Most DME tends to be around 43 PPG, whereas light / pale all-grain tends to be around 35-38 PPG, so you need about 120% (+/-) as much grain poundage as the DME it calls for. 

For example, 4.5 pounds of DME would require about 5.2 to 5.4 pounds of all-grain malt to produce the same amount of sugars, +/-.

The wheat DME that I have used (Briess, I think) is 65% wheat, 35% pale or pils.  So 2 pounds of that DME would require about 24-25 oz of wheat malt and about 12-13 oz [more] of the pale malt in addition to the 5.2-5.4 pounds listed above (so, i.e., about 6 pounds total of pale, 1.5 pounds of wheat).

Mashing that high might get you a bit less fermentable sugars, so my rough estimates above might undershoot it relative to DME.  I don't have much experience mashing that high, so hopefully a more experienced brewer can adjust what I've said here.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 09:10:00 am »
Most DME tends to be around 43 PPG, whereas light / pale all-grain tends to be around 35-38 PPG, so you need about 120% (+/-) as much grain poundage as the DME it calls for. 

For example, 4.5 pounds of DME would require about 5.2 to 5.4 pounds of all-grain malt to produce the same amount of sugars, +/-.

The wheat DME that I have used (Briess, I think) is 65% wheat, 35% pale or pils.  So 2 pounds of that DME would require about 24-25 oz of wheat malt and about 12-13 oz [more] of the pale malt in addition to the 5.2-5.4 pounds listed above (so, i.e., about 6 pounds total of pale, 1.5 pounds of wheat).

Mashing that high might get you a bit less fermentable sugars, so my rough estimates above might undershoot it relative to DME.  I don't have much experience mashing that high, so hopefully a more experienced brewer can adjust what I've said here.

Your numbers don't account for efficiency in all grain.  At 75% efficiency you get more like 25 points from a pound of grain, not 35.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 09:56:24 am »

Your numbers don't account for efficiency in all grain.  At 75% efficiency you get more like 25 points from a pound of grain, not 35.

Thanks - that's important.  I was hoping someone could give him a more precise equivalency.  It's obviously not a 1-to-1 from DME to AG.

So, RedRocker, based on Denny's example, you may need close to a 1.6667x [<--edited] the poundage, not just 1.20x.   You'll get a better idea as you learn what efficiency you typically get when mashing all-grain. 

ETA:  If you're not sure, you could go with the higher amounts of AG (e.g., assume 1.7x the poundage) and then if your efficiency is better than expected, producing a higher OG than you wanted, you could dilute with some water at the beginning or end of boil.  I think it's easier to dilute down to a target OG than it is to bump it up if you're too low.  YMMV...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 10:48:44 am by ScallyWag »

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 10:53:10 am »
3 lb DME (44 PPG) is roughly 5 lb grain (36 PPG) at 75% efficiency.

Thanks!  I was way off originally.  That's the point I was hoping to make for RR.

Online redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 09:14:21 pm »
Great info from all.  Thanks to all who posted.  Gonna do some math and see where I end up.  Or, I might contact the original person who gave me the recipe and see if they have an all grain version.  Either way, awesome responses from all.  I thank you all for your input. 

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 07:49:03 am »
Doesn't your software have a conversion feature?
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 08:11:28 am »
I'd try to recreate that in beersmith two ways and try to get them close.  somebody mentioned a conversion tool in beersmith. Is that a thing?

Fire Rooster

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 01:58:46 pm »
https://jaysbrewingblog.com/2011/11/17/lazy-chart-for-converting-dme-lme-grain/

Used this chart when I converted from LME, DME to all grain, it worked for me.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 02:07:53 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 08:36:07 am »
I'd try to recreate that in beersmith two ways and try to get them close.  somebody mentioned a conversion tool in beersmith. Is that a thing?

Yes. Import or copy the extract recipe then click the "Convert" button.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato